PDA

View Full Version : Which Target Coatings products for kitchen finishing

Frank Martin
11-22-2011, 11:49 PM
I am refacing my kitchen with white maple veneer and new white maple doors. I would like to end up with a brown color similar to Antique Maple but lighter in color. I now see there is pre-mixed stain available (WR4000).

I plan to spray both the stain and the top coat. I need this to be resistant to UV as I live in California and our kitchen gets lots of sunshine.

This will be the first time I will be using waterborne finishes and would like to tap into the wisdom and experience of folks here.

What finishing schedule do you recommend, specifically:
1- Any wash coat before stain?
2- Can I dilute WR4000 stain with a clear base (if so which) to adjust color?
3- Is it better to spray or wipe on stain?
4- What top coat is recommended?
5- How much of each product do I need for a largish kitchen (about 30 feet of cabinets)?

What sanding between coats is recommended?

I will leave drawer boxes natural color, which finish is recommended for those?

Thanks in advance?

Jim Becker
11-24-2011, 2:37 PM
My kitchen is finished with PSL...which is two generations back from EM6000. I've not had any performance issues with it at all. In fact, it was completed in 2003 and I'm just now considering re-finishing simply because of the effect of kids over the last six years. That said, they have some more durable finishes, too. Spend some time at their site learning about each and that will help you make your decision. The EM8000 and EM9000 are definitely worth a look.

For your drawer boxes, if you choose to finish them at all (I didn't), any of the Target products will work fine, although I wouldn't personally use the EM2000 as it's an emulsified oil product in a water carrier and will have some minor off-gassing.