PDA

View Full Version : Gift from a far.

Jack Mincey
11-22-2011, 6:41 PM
Jim Burl contacted me via a PM after I posted the thread on buying a new Delta lathe a few weeks ago. He wanted to know if we could use any pen or bowl blanks. This arrived at our school yesterday. My students were all excited to see the blanks today. A lot of them are from woods that we don't have readily available in our school shop. On top of sending the wonderful blanks for my students he also included two beautiful pens, one for my principal that allowed me to raise the money at a school function to buy the lathe and one for me to enjoy as well. It is wonderful to have a fellow Creeker help support our turning program in our little school. The reason for the title is that Jim lives in California and sent the box of blanks all the way to our school in North Carolina.
Thanks A Ton Jim,
Jack

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00379.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00381.jpg

Baxter Smith
11-22-2011, 7:14 PM
I am sure your students were excited. Quite a collection and just one more of Jims fine looking pens. Just used one of his to add "toothpicks" to the wifes grocery list.:)

John Keeton
11-22-2011, 7:49 PM
Just one more instance of proof - creekers are the best!!

Roger Chandler
11-22-2011, 7:56 PM
Very nice gesture, Jim! Jack, I hope you students really enjoy those.

Ted Okolichany
11-22-2011, 7:58 PM
nice that our little Blue Ridge School received such a nice gift Jack.

Ted

David E Keller
11-22-2011, 8:26 PM
Neat stuff! If Burr keeps this kind of behavior up, he's gonna lose that reputation as a renegade n'er do well!:D

Jim Burr
11-22-2011, 10:01 PM
I put that stuff in there?! No more drink for me!!! On the other hand...I hope your kids have a ball Jack!! Thanks for training them for a life time!

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2011, 11:02 PM
What a great gesture and be able to teach those kids a life time hobby.

Steve bellinger
11-23-2011, 4:47 AM
Way to go Jim.Me and the wife bouth have a pen from jim and they are top notch.Now i notice that he didn't have any of them holly blanks in there that he got from me. I guess i'll just have to cut up some more and get them out to the west coast.:D
Hope your kids all turn out to be the best turners of there age. I bet some will.;)
Steve

Ken Hill
11-23-2011, 6:08 AM
Jack, is there an address we could send some stuff out to?

Jack Mincey
11-23-2011, 6:50 AM
Jim, I just want to thank you again for the generous gift to the students and my self. The students have already picked out the pen blanks to start on after the Holiday. One student turned a little HF from the cherry blank. Getting the blanks has helped to energize them toward the end of the semester.. I will be teaching at the Jackson County School of alternatives in the spring, but any thing sent to this address will be forwarded to me there to use with kids that really need the feeling of accomplishment they get from turning out projects on the lathe. The little Delta lathes make it easy for me to move them when I switch schools at Christmas. We will have 6 lathes at this alternative school in the spring by moving the two Deltas I have at BRS. Ken here is the school address, we can always use blanks for the students to use.
Thanks Again,
Jack Mincey
Blue Ridge School
95 Bobcat Drive
Cashiers N.C. 28717

Mike Cruz
11-23-2011, 7:27 AM
That was a very generous box of wood. Jim, you are a good man.

Keith E Byrd
11-23-2011, 9:24 AM
Great job reaching those kids! Wish more school teachers put themselves into their jobs and invested in the kids! And I agree Jim - that was a great gesture to send the blanks to the school, your generosity is amazing and refreshing!