PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID Help

Paul Heely
11-22-2011, 6:18 PM
My sister lost a couple of trees during the latest CT storm. I went and picked up a load of wood from her house this past weekend. My BIL thinks that one of the maples that came down was a sugar maple, based on an ID he did with the leaves during the summer. The wood has the stripes that I would associate with ambrosia maple. My understanding is the stripes are caused by the ambrosia beetle, but everything I find talks about them infesting soft maple.

So, does anybody know if the ambrosia beetle can also get into sugar maple and cause the same discolorations?

A picture of some of the logs. Normally I like my basement shop, but having to lug down loads of cut up logs really makes me wish for a ground level shop.....

John Keeton
11-22-2011, 6:32 PM
Paul, it definitely looks to be Ambrosia, and while silver maple seems to be most susceptible, I have seen them in sycamore. I feel certain sugar maple could be susceptible, as well.

Baxter Smith
11-22-2011, 7:23 PM
Definitely Ambrosia Paul. A red maple in my front yard had it here in Delaware but I have not seen it in sugar maple in Maine. I was in Avon Ct. visiting a sister during that storm. She was without power for a week. I would have taken my big van and a chainsaw if I could have read the future!

David E Keller
11-22-2011, 8:47 PM
The only thing I know is that I love what those beetles have done! Great markings in that stuff!

Dale Miner
11-22-2011, 8:52 PM
Ambrosia beetles will attack hard (sugar) maples as well as soft maples and box elder. A picture of the bark would help with identity.