PDA

View Full Version : Sculpture- ' Midnights Little Flower'

Johnny Taylor
11-22-2011, 5:01 PM
This is the first 'proper' piece of work I've managed to produce in over a month!! This is the fourth piece in my 'Dark' series. I hope the title is pretty explanatory of the design. The colouring of silver, purple and black are the cool night time colours of moonlight. It stands about 10" high.
Comments and critiques are very much welcomed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/midnightslittleflower600.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/midnightslittleflower601.jpg

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-22-2011, 5:08 PM
Cool!
Did you turn all the parts, and then fretwork the frame? I love the shading.

John Keeton
11-22-2011, 5:19 PM
Johnny, that is a really interesting piece!! I love the finish you get on these turnings and this one appears to be extremely well done. I like this one better than the prior piece in the series. What woods are you using? Would you care to share a little of your metalization process?

Jim Burr
11-22-2011, 6:05 PM
The texturing and peircing are great!! Color is making me look more...interference red??

Rick Markham
11-22-2011, 7:28 PM
Awesome! I really like everything about it!

Baxter Smith
11-22-2011, 7:39 PM
Pretty cool Johnny! Reminds me of something you might see growing on another planet. At least what you might see on the sci-fi channel.

Dan Forman
11-23-2011, 4:03 AM
Very nice, reminds me of a radar or satellite dish.
Dan

Dennis Ford
11-23-2011, 6:32 AM
This is a very nice piece of art with great craftmanship. My only quibble is that I would like to see a little bit of wood grain somewhere.

Johnny Taylor
11-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

Cool!
Did you turn all the parts, and then fretwork the frame? I love the shading.

Yes all parts were turned, the 'petals' part was pierced with a rotary tool and then all assembled.

Johnny, that is a really interesting piece!! I love the finish you get on these turnings and this one appears to be extremely well done. I like this one better than the prior piece in the series. What woods are you using? Would you care to share a little of your metalization process?

John, firstly I hope you are feeling better :) I've used a bit of a mixture of woods on this one, the spheres are Acacia, the 'petals' Sycamore and the base Mahogany!!! I took the easy root on the metalization for these and have used silver leaf applied over a purple dye.

Joe Watson
11-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Impressive - Before reading your description (i always jump to the images and then go back and read what people have to say), the first thing that came to my mind was Tim Burton.