PDA

View Full Version : Making a new planer hood (pic police will be happy)

Allan Johanson
03-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Howdy again guys,

I have a Delta 12.5" planer with the plastic factory 4" hood. I wanted a larger hood so I could take advantage of my large cyclone, so I made a new hood for it.

Making hoods for other tools can be relatively simple - just find or make some round ports, screw them to plywood and fasten them to the tool. But for a planer and its molded plastic part, how do you do that?

Here's one solution involving copying the Delta design but making the frame from some 1/4" (6mm) baltic birch ply and using an HVAC universal boot that has a 4"x10" rectangular opening and a 6" round hookup.

I posted the airflow test results in another post, but to me the best thing about this modification is that annoying whistling sound is GONE!!!!! YAY!!!!! :D

I'll run through the pics for you:

Pic #1 - Factory hood on left, HVAC piece on right
Pic #2 - Got the plywood cut to size and have moved over the metal lip from the factory hood
Pic #3 - Cut opening in plywood and glued/screwed it together. Also rough trimmed the HVAC piece to fit on the plywood.
Pic #4 - Hood complete. HVAC piece is bolted to plywood at the metal lip. I used PL Premium construction adhesive to glue the metal to the wood. I also sealed any gaps with metal foil tape on the inside and out. If you only tape the outside then some sticky residue will be on the inside and shavings might stick to it.
Pic #5 - Hood installed. Like I said, the best part is that whistling sound is gone! :D

Cheers,

Allan

Jerry Olexa
03-06-2005, 2:02 PM
Nice solution! Good job of adapting and creating!!

Robert Mayer
03-06-2005, 3:57 PM
How about a couple extra pics of that outfeed table. Looks nice. I assume you have a front only locking fence? I have been pondering putting something like that on mine.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 7:38 PM
Allan, thank you very much for posting this! I have been thinking about building a collection hood for my planer for a while now. When I go to build mine, I will be referencing this post!

Allan Johanson
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys.

Robert, I made a new thread called "Homemade Unisaw outfeed table" for you. I hope it helps.

Allan