PDA

View Full Version : Arrowmont

George Morris
11-22-2011, 2:46 PM
Has any one been to the a week long class there? Looking into going this summer..Thanks for any input! G

John Keeton
11-22-2011, 2:59 PM
Jamie Donaldson is very familiar with Arrowmont, as he is with the John C. Campbell Folk School. Hopefully, he will chime in.

Scott Hackler
11-22-2011, 3:23 PM
I am pretty sure that Doug Fisher is teaching a week long class at Arrowmount very soon. (at least thats what I heard)

Bruce Pratt
11-22-2011, 8:00 PM
Took a class a couple of years ago there with Art Leistman. What kind of information are you looking for?

If you are planning on taking a turning course, the content and style is completely up to the instructor. The list of classes for 2012 is posted. If you see an instructor or topic you like - go for it. The accomodations are ok - singles, doubles or dorm (I think) depending on what you want (and is available for the time slot). Dining is in a common facility onsite - food was ok when I was there. Downtown Gatlinburg has a lot of touristy stuff, but you will be spending most/all of your time in the wood studio.

Jamie Donaldson
11-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I have been to Arrowmont several times over the years, and it offers an excellent turning facility and a few other programs, but I hate running the outlet gauntlets through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I much prefer the serene mountain setting at the Folk School, with a much broader offering of class subjects that might also appeal to a spouse, allowing a couple to enjoy a week together at "camp for adults!" And the Folk School by far has better food- we seniors do have our priorities! If you're looking to take a class with a specific instructor that would make the decision easier.

Philip Duffy
11-23-2011, 6:21 AM
Several years have passed since my wonderful week at Arrowmont and I think of it often. It made me a Turner! All the years I wasted before that week were quickly washed away by the expertise of the instructors and the insight I gained by having an expert right there to ask questions and to watch demos. GO! Philip

Thom Sturgill
11-23-2011, 8:45 AM
I've not been to Arrowmont, but have been to John C Campbell for a weekend course and plan to go back next spring with my spouse for a full week. Among people I've talked to that have been to both, they almost all commented on a difference in focus on the classes. Arrowmont is associated with a college that teaches a fine-arts degree and the courses are 'artsy' (in the terms of the JCC people I talked to) with a focus on form and color, while JCC ('crafty' in their terms) tends to focus more on technique. I do believe the 'quality', in terms of national/international recognition, of the Arrowmont instructors is higher. Arrowmont is where both the AAW and the segmented turners SIG formed.

In my opinion, both are well worth the tuition and the choice depends on what you are after, and who the instructor is.

Don Geiger
11-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I have taken classes at Arrowmont and have assisted Ellsworth (7 times), Al Stirt (twice), Bihn Pho, Don Duden, Nick Cook and John Jordan with classes there. I'll be assisting Ellsworth again next June. Arrowmont's equipment and facilities are extremely well maintained (and much better than some of the other schools I've been to). Their staff is great as is the food and lodging. One thing I like at Arrowmont is they have 17 full size lathes from a variety of manufacturers so you can see and use different ones. I understand the motivating factors to have only one brand- as some schools do, but I think to see and use a variety of lathes is a superior opprortunity for the student. In my opinion, the only downside to Arrowmont is the fact it is right in the middle of Gatlinburg. Once I get to Arrowmont I seldom leave campus until it's time to go home. I drive up from Florida so I take US 441 right through the Smokey Mountains National Park from Cherokee and it's a magnificent scenic drive.

Another plus is there are two wonderful galleries at Arrowmont. The Jerry Drown gallery located in the wood studio houses a very impressive collection of woodturnings from several of the top woodturning artists in the world.

I strongly suggest that anyone considering attending a class at any school to make the decision based on who the instructor is and what subject matter is being offerred.

Don Geiger