PDA

View Full Version : new to turning, advice requested

Jeff Bartley
11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi Folks,
I've recently acquired an older craftsman lathe (#113.228160) and just got it spinning the other night. My generous woodworking uncle upgraded to a larger machine and gave me this lathe! Yes, he's a very good influence! Last Saturday I attended the skills meeting at my local wood turning club (Wood Turners of the Virginias) where I was taught how to sharpen both the roughing and spindle gouges. What a great group of folks!
Can anyone give me any other advise in regards to getting the most out of this lathe? Specifically I'm wondering if a live center in the tailstock would be an improvement. I know there's endless possibilities in the world of chucks and all but from what I understand some of those aren't really applicable to a smaller machine like the craftsman.
Sorry for such a general question but I'm really 'green' to turning!
Thanks,
Jeff

David DeCristoforo
11-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Advice? RUN!!!

Scott Hackler
11-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Be prepared to start spending A BUNCH of money on this "hobby"!!!

Seriously though, I don't know if I would spend a bunch on any accessories for that particular lathe unless they would transfer over to a newer lathe (ie, MT2 live center, chuck with 1" to 1 1/4" thread adapters, tool rest). The Craftsman mono tube is a VERY light weight lathe and the first time you turn on a modern lathe (something built in the last 10 years) you are going to want a newer, bigger lathe. The important thing is to take it slow on your lathe and don't get discouraged that you can't "hog out" a bowl. There isn't enough power in the older lathes to do what the new ones will allow. Get with your uncle and others at your local club and get some "one on one" lessons on techniques and tool presentation.

Welcome to the madness!

Dan Hintz
11-22-2011, 12:11 PM
David forgot to include a smiley at the end of his post, so just ignore the grump ;)

Prepare to be sucked into the vortex, where money is limited, but the desire (nay, need) to spend on a new tool is inescapable.

A live center will prevent burning the wood at the end, for one... if the center isn't turning, it's friction.

A word of advice... don't use the spindle gouge as a bowl gouge replacement. You'll eventually end up with a gouge sticking out of your forehead and need to dye the bowl to cover up the blood.

Richard Allen
11-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Safety.

Face and eye protection as well as lung protection. Get a face shield and use it. Get safety glasses with side protection and wear them. Get a dust mask rated P95 or better and wear the dust mask anytime you expect or see any wood dust (you can create harmful wood dust while turning, not just while sanding).

Learn safe turning procedures like avoiding the line of fire. The AAW has a set of safety guidelines on there web site. Review the guidelines and work out a way to incorporate as many of those guidelines as you can.

After safety is sharpening. You need sharpening equipment and you should sharpen a LOT. Sharp tools are almost always safer and folks just starting out tend to use dull tools. Sharpening is an activity which you will often do 2 or 3 time per turning.

Live center? Sure. There are loads of objects that you can get good use out of.

Dennis Ford
11-22-2011, 12:30 PM
You have already recieved a bunch of good advise. I think it is better to learn some skills on a light lathe before you go whole hog on a big expensive machine. You can do quite a lot with that lathe but will be forced to learn tool techniques. Eventually, you will buy a bunch of tools and a bigger lathe but you will be better off if you learn how to control a few tools (spindle gouge, bowl gouge, parting tool & skew) before buying a lot of other stuff.

Marty Eargle
11-22-2011, 12:51 PM
You have already taken a great step by getting in with your local turning club. There are tons of videos on Youtube that can also be great for learning. I suggest looking up Bob Hamilton (bobham5) and Eddie Castelin (capneddie) and watching all their videos.

Apart from all the advice you've received so far, I would suggest starting out a project with rough sketches and drawings. It's good to practice, practice, practice your techniques...but it can also be very useful set out with a goal for your piece. I feel that it can really help you figure out what tools you're comfortable with when making certain cuts, and it can also help you save a lot of wood.

Good luck...go ahead and apologize to your bank account.

Dan Hintz
11-22-2011, 4:10 PM
There are tons of videos on Youtube that can also be great for learning. I suggest looking up Bob Hamilton (bobham5) and Eddie Castelin (capneddie) and watching all their videos.
Fair warning... not all turning videos are created equal, and some will even show you extremely dangerous methods.

Roger Chandler
11-22-2011, 4:48 PM
Welcome to our club Jeff! I spoke with Don today and he mentioned he helped you with the sharpening last Saturday. A live center will help you a lot! Vaughn has one of those monotube lathes, and as you know just recently upgraded to a Jet. I will help you any way I can.............maybe a creeker visit is in order, and I can take a little time to show you the ropes!

Send me a PM, or an email........you have my email address, and we can set something up!

Jim Burr
11-22-2011, 6:01 PM
My BIL used for years, an old Craftsman tube lathe. He made stuff that was and still is amazing! But to his loss, would rather do furniture...and hasn't had a day off in a few years! We learn from the best! I see no reason why you can't tear it up on what you have..my BIL made lamp shades from curly redwood lace burl. His bowls are second to none and he still refuses to upgrade...and little use for forums! Learn and learn despite what others tell you...Jet/Delta didn't always make lathe's so turn stuff and have more fun than education!

Jeff Bartley
11-22-2011, 9:10 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys. I fully expect my wallet to suffer....it always does when tools are involved!
Roger, I'll be excited to take you up on that offer, the next week will be really busy but I'll shoot ya an email after next week. Don really got me started sharpening correctly, Hank M. helped a lot too, I'm really looking forward to more time with the club.
I found a live center for 30 some dollars which I'll probably buy soon, I don't know if I could justify some of the more expensive chucks for this lathe (#1MT) seems like even the midi's use a #2MT. I'm hoping I can get by with some type of faceplate arrangement (for now) if I get into bowls. I just had to laugh at myself because from the onset my goal with lathe ownership was to turn spindles for some chair projects that I've had floating around in my head for the last couple years but here I am strategizing how to set up for turning bowls!
Thanks again all!

Derek Gilmer
11-22-2011, 9:29 PM
I'd suggest not getting anything for the lathe that can easily be upgraded to a newer mt2 lathe for a few months at least. Chances are you'll want to upgrade lathes soon.... I just bought a new delta 46-460 and am already longing for a mustard monster :D.

My shopping list includes(ed)
1. Nova talon chuck + assorted jaws
2. 8" grinder + 120 grit wheel
3. Wolverine sharpening jig + varigrind add on
4. A good bowl gouge
5. Harbor freight mid range tool set (remarkably useful minus a good bowl gouge)

After awhile you'll know if you want to upgrade lathes or not. Then you wont' be stuck with stuff you can't use on the new one. If you could find a MT1 to 1" or 1-1/4" threads adapter you can get a chuck and use it on this lathe and the next one. Not sure if such a creature exists. I have seen mt1 to mt2 adapters though that might help.

Jeff Bartley
11-22-2011, 9:49 PM
Derek,
The club has one of those Wolverine sharpening jigs---it's really nice. I've been looking for exactly what you mentioned: MT1 to 1" adapter....so far it doesn't exist! It could exist if I go visit my Dad and his metal lathe!!!

Dan Kralemann
11-22-2011, 11:15 PM
I believe that Best Wood Tools has what you are looking for. They sell many different types of accessories/tools for the wood turner. If you don't see what you want, ask! This is what is described on their web site regarding their spindle adapters: "If you're like most turners, you own more than one lathe. Unfortunately, your chucks and faceplates may not interchange between lathes because of spindle sizes. Now, with our Precision Spindle Adapters, you can share your favorite tooling between multiple lathes, without having the expense of duplicating tooling. All of our Spindle Adapters now come with a thru hole for vacuum chucking applications and each Spindle Adapter has a hole for our 2" spanner wrench, available separately, and 1-3/4" wrench flats. Please be sure to verify your machine spindle size before ordering."

I use their spindle mounted interchangeable spur drives and their face plates which have large countersinks on the mating side (faceplate to wood) of the face plate. I don't use the MT any longer.

Contact info: Owner - Vic Arrighi web: bestwoodtools.com (http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/precspinad.html) phone: 931-788-0429 email: sales@bestwoodtools.com

You may also want to check The Sanding Glove for a live center. They have the Mini 25 for $49.95. I have the Super 32 shaft and two heads (standard cone and ring center). Mine runs very smooth. They both have three bearings in them.

I have had fantastic customer service from both of the above vendors.

Dan

Jeff Bartley
11-23-2011, 9:19 AM
Thanks for the link Dan, I'll check it out!

charlie knighton
11-23-2011, 10:11 AM
save some time for virginia woodturning symposium this year, usually in october, in fisherville, thats close to you

Brad Simmons
11-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Does anyone have experience with these adapters? They seem like a good option for those with a starter lathe that don't want to waste a lot of money on extras before they upgrade lathes.

Scott Hackler
11-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Brad, if you can't find a premade one...you might seek out a small machine shop and have them make a MT1 to 1" or even 1 1/4" x8TPI thead piece. Its not hard for them to machine something like that and I would think that it wouldn't coust more than $40-50. Then any faceplates or a chuck would transfer over to an upgrade down the road.

Bill Bolen
11-26-2011, 6:05 PM
I believe Steve S started with that lathe and he has worked his way up to a Robust lathe now. Must be a decent starter despite the negative reviews.