PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Clamps

Andrew Joiner
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I was set to buy some,but I hate to buy a plastic covered tool. I have clamps that are over 50 years old that work like new, but they have no plastic parts.

Parallel clamps got a good test for cracking plastic in FWW. Jorgensens got a good test result for durability.

My question is how old are your parallel clamps? What brand and have any parts broke? When the plastic does crack do they still clamp OK?

Don Wacker
11-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Ive never broken or even seen a broken bessey or jet parrallel. Ive used them for as long as I can remember.

Don

Paul McGaha
11-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi Andrew,

I use mainly Jorgenson Cabinetmasters. I like them, no issues, been using them about 8 years.

I have a few Bessey's. They're good also.

PHM

Paul Johnstone
11-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I have not seen the magazine article you are referring to, so I don't know how much abuse they had to give before the plastic gave out.

In real life.. I have used parallel clamps (assorted brands) for about 15 years.. If you aren't Hercules, I find it hard to believe you'd be able
to crank down the handle hard enough to break them. It's a good design. Don't worry about the plastic.

Carroll Courtney
11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Even if the plastic is as good as the plastic on BMW's,its still just a matter of time.Don't expect 50yrs out of them,I wouldn't----Carroll

Joe Angrisani
11-22-2011, 1:26 PM
I was set to buy some,but I hate to buy a plastic covered tool. I have clamps that are over 50 years old that work like new, but they have no plastic parts....

Andrew... Those old clamps of yours are pre-"The Graduate", otherwise Mr. Robinson would have had them made with plastics, too.

joe milana
11-22-2011, 1:40 PM
I've got all my Grandfather's cast iron c clamps, and all my Dad's bar clamps, And I've bought a whole collection of parallel clamps. I use them all equally. I bet my Grand kids will end up with the C & bar clamps, but the parallel clamps will probably wear out & end up in the trash before the third generation gets to them. just sayin'...

Mike Heidrick
11-22-2011, 2:10 PM
I own a ton of parallel clamps from Jorgy, Jet, and Bessey. If used correctly they will never crack. Plastic is nice because of no reaction to glue.

I also own a 8' JLT Panel Rack for glue ups. Eighteen All Steel 40" clamps. Its the cats meow.

Dave Lehnert
11-22-2011, 2:20 PM
I use Stanley & Bessey brands. Over the past 10 years no problem at all. I have never felt the plastic would be a problem. The plastic used in clamps is a covering of metal parts.

Randy Dutkiewicz
11-22-2011, 2:29 PM
Andrew,

I also use only the Jorgensen CabinetMaster clamps. They've been excellent! I'm sure Bessey are just as good though. I (vaugely) remember the article you were referring to on the parallel clamp tests - can't remember what issue off the top of my head though. From what I remember, I believe they tested "plastic cracking" if you dropped them onto concrete or something to check their durability. Like others have said, I highly doubt you'll ever crack the plastic by simply torquing down on them. They're just too strong. However, if you accidently dropped one onto the concrete just right, you could chip off a corner or something. Just be careful with them from that perspective. They are pretty heavy clamps and I've had mine fall off of the workbench a few times (DOH!) but have been fortunate that they didn't crack. They're not cheap either so take care of them and they should last forever.

Ben Hatcher
11-22-2011, 2:35 PM
If you abuse your tools enough even metal pipe clamps will break. I have several "old iron" pipe clamps from the 40's that my grandfather gave me which he'd bent so badly they no longer work. My parallel clamps are less than 5 years old but still work perfectly.

Jeff Duncan
11-22-2011, 5:37 PM
I've had most of my Bessey parallel clamps for well over a decade now and they get beat up pretty good on a daily basis. Plastic has held up fine and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I bought a handful of the Cabinetmasters maybe 8+/- years ago, I think when they first came out? Anyway I broke the plastic on 3 of them within a couple weeks....back they went! I think I read that they changed the plastic they were using, but too late for me!

If you want the heavy duty clamps check to see if Wetzler is still around. They were one of the few "real" clamp companies hanging on, not sure if they still are?

good luck,
JeffD

Steve Baumgartner
11-22-2011, 9:59 PM
You are right Randy - it was a FWW test. They dropped the clamps onto concrete and on a few of them the plastic shattered or chipped. I seem to remember the handles on the Jet broke. However, I agree with the others that you will never crack or break them when using them to clamp things, only through serious abuse.

I like to experiment, so I have some each of Bessey, Gros Stabil, Jet, and Cabinet Master. They've each got some advantages and some problems. The Gros Stabil might be my favorites, but a few years ago Bessey bought the company and discontinued them. The Cabinet Masters would be my second choice due to large wooden handles and jaws, but if you get them make sure they are the newer ones with black-painted internal casting, not the older ones with aluminum. They had problems with the aluminum castings breaking and changed to iron (note to anyone who has the aluminum ones: Cabinet Master will send you replacement iron ones for free. They stand behind their product!). The main problem with the Cabinet Master is that if you hold it vertically and the jaw slides shut, it can be very hard to get it loose again. I think they have some sort of a shim to prevent the jam on new ones, but I haven't seen it. The Jets have a lock lever you pull to slide the jaws, which keeps them from slamming and jamming and have pretty large handles. However, the handles are plastic and seem a bit on the flimsy side to me. The Besseys work great, but like the Cabinet Masters, are prone to sliding closed and jamming. Also, the handles seem a bit small diameter to my large hands.

Clint Baxter
11-22-2011, 11:30 PM
I've had most of my Bessey parallel clamps for well over a decade now and they get beat up pretty good on a daily basis. Plastic has held up fine and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I bought a handful of the Cabinetmasters maybe 8+/- years ago, I think when they first came out? Anyway I broke the plastic on 3 of them within a couple weeks....back they went! I think I read that they changed the plastic they were using, but too late for me!

If you want the heavy duty clamps check to see if Wetzler is still around. They were one of the few "real" clamp companies hanging on, not sure if they still are?

good luck,
JeffD

I have a dozen or so of the Wetzlers and agree they are at the top of the heap. They are still around but no longer sell their clamps through retailers. You have to buy them directly from Wetzler. They are available here, http://wetzler.com/

Mike Henderson
11-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I use Bessy K-body clamps and Bessy H foot pipe clamps (http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-BPC-34-4-Inch-Style-Clamp/dp/B0012YNJRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1322023745&sr=1-1). Both work great. The pipe clamps have the "H" foot that holds the clamp up so you can turn the crank without it hitting the bench or floor (if you're doing your clamp up on the floor). If you want an old time, all metal, reliable clamp that you can crank the heck out of, look at these (http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-7248-48-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Steel/dp/B0000224CI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1YXZXA8VQKC6Q&colid=2M1XMQFRF5982)on Amazon. Decent price, also. They also make a 72" for a few dollars more.

Mike

Will Blick
11-23-2011, 12:08 AM
the tail end of the plastic handle came off some of my Jets, then the handle becomes unstable when tightening....

Rick Fisher
11-23-2011, 1:10 AM
I have almost all Bessey's .. A few stanley's that where given to me .. The bessey's are superior... Never had one break.. I think I have about 30 ..

Kenneth Crisler
11-23-2011, 3:35 AM
Echoing the Bessey love. On the larger side, I have three 72" all steel no-name's gifted from a neighbor 15+ years ago. They don't get much use, and can get in the way but have you ever tried to get rid of a functioning clamp? Impossible. ;)

Tony Zaffuto
11-23-2011, 5:47 AM
I was set to buy some,but I hate to buy a plastic covered tool. I have clamps that are over 50 years old that work like new, but they have no plastic parts.

Parallel clamps got a good test for cracking plastic in FWW. Jorgensens got a good test result for durability.

My question is how old are your parallel clamps? What brand and have any parts broke? When the plastic does crack do they still clamp OK?

Get yourself some of the heavy duty Jorgy bar clamps--all metal and you can crank those babies so tight you'll be popping nickels out of the buffalo's butt.

Andrew Joiner
11-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all the feed back. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ZTBH6CB3L._SL500_AA300_.gif I do like these I bar clamps. I had some of these 30 years ago. Nice to know they haven't changed. Top value in USA made heavy duty clamps in my opinion.

If the cabinetmasters have upgraded the plastic and aluminum parts, I'll get those. I'm not worried about the plastic cracking while cranking down. I do often flip a heavy assembly on the the floor so I don't treat clamps like fine china.

The FWW test dropped the clamps off a bench 5 times. Several failed. I think it's a valid test. In my shop when glue is drying the pace gets fast and while rare, clamps could drop off a bench.

The I-bars and parallel clamps are so darn heavy. When I think about how I glue, most times I reach for 1/2" pipe clamps. Light in weight but stiff enough to get the job done. The pony 1/2" have the sliding T crank so you can place them close with out cranks hitting.

I'm hoping with parallel clamps if I can clamp with them on their side, they will function like 2 or 3 of the 1/2" pipe clamps placed close together.

glenn bradley
11-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Lots of Besseys and a few Baileys. Never broken any parts. The plastic is very robust and resists glue sticking and removes the need for cauls or pads in many cases. Some folks can break anything however . . . .

Carl Beckett
11-23-2011, 1:02 PM
I have some Irwin parallel clamps. The locking pieces are metal (the head is plastic). I havent had, and do not forsee any issues with the plastic structurally. Having said that - plastic can get brittle with age (and light, etc) - so I dont expect them to hold up over 50 years in the way an all metal body would (but this isnt something I worry about)

The Jorgenson I beam type clamps pictured are by far my favorites. I also have some aluminum channel clamps that are nice for light clamping (easy to lift, position, etc) - but not so good for heavier clamping.

George Gyulatyan
11-23-2011, 1:07 PM
Lots of Besseys and a few Baileys. Never broken any parts. The plastic is very robust and resists glue sticking and removes the need for cauls or pads in many cases. Some folks can break anything however . . . .
I knew a Bailey once. She was beautiful :)

Keith Hankins
11-23-2011, 10:35 PM
My parallels are only Bessy's I've had them for many years. Went through a period of buying one a month to build up my stock. I've got all sizes and only have one cracked and it was my fault. I dropped it and it hit at a funky angle on concrete. No issues still clamps just fine. Don't know about any other brands.

Homer Faucett
11-24-2011, 9:31 AM
I have Bessey K-bodies, Bessey Uniklamps, Jets, and Stanley Bailey parallel bar clamps. All are between 4 and 10 years old. I have bought opportunistically as the price presents itself. So far, no cracks, and I've overtightened the Baileys a few times trying to pull some brazilian teak boards flat on a deck project. I lightly bent one of the fulcrum pins doing that, but it still works well.

Personally, I like the Jets, followed by the Stanley Bailey's, followed by the Bessey K-bodies. I hate the Uniklamps--those will eventually break once the plastic gets brittle--I'm sure of that. As I recall, FWW or another mag did a test on clamping force of parallel bar clamps a while back. Baileys came out on top of the heap. I don't remember the ranking of the rest.

Frank Drew
11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
I came late to parallel clamps and have only used the Bessey K-body. The plastic (or even the clamps themselves) might or might not last 50 years, as has been speculated, but having used just about every other clamp available for years before getting my Bessey's, I have to say that when it comes time for a glue up, a good parallel clamp is, IMO, a significant improvement over all the other bar and pipe clamps I've ever used (especially over pipe clamps) -- Jorgensen heavy duty; Record medium and heavy duty; Wexler; Pony...

Frank Drew
11-24-2011, 5:11 PM
The FWW test dropped the clamps off a bench 5 times. Several failed. I think it's a valid test.

Drop your hand plane (or square, or bubble level, or chisel, or cell phone...) from bench height, five times, onto concrete, and report back. :D

Randy Dutkiewicz
11-24-2011, 7:45 PM
You are right Randy - it was a FWW test. They dropped the clamps onto concrete and on a few of them the plastic shattered or chipped. I seem to remember the handles on the Jet broke. However, I agree with the others that you will never crack or break them when using them to clamp things, only through serious abuse.

I like to experiment, so I have some each of Bessey, Gros Stabil, Jet, and Cabinet Master. They've each got some advantages and some problems. The Gros Stabil might be my favorites, but a few years ago Bessey bought the company and discontinued them. The Cabinet Masters would be my second choice due to large wooden handles and jaws, but if you get them make sure they are the newer ones with black-painted internal casting, not the older ones with aluminum. They had problems with the aluminum castings breaking and changed to iron (note to anyone who has the aluminum ones: Cabinet Master will send you replacement iron ones for free. They stand behind their product!). The main problem with the Cabinet Master is that if you hold it vertically and the jaw slides shut, it can be very hard to get it loose again. I think they have some sort of a shim to prevent the jam on new ones, but I haven't seen it. The Jets have a lock lever you pull to slide the jaws, which keeps them from slamming and jamming and have pretty large handles. However, the handles are plastic and seem a bit on the flimsy side to me. The Besseys work great, but like the Cabinet Masters, are prone to sliding closed and jamming. Also, the handles seem a bit small diameter to my large hands.

Thanks for the info Steve. Yeah, I've had that happen to me once only where the clamp slammed shut on me and it took three men and a small boy to get that sucker back open. Since then, I've always made sure to keep enough slack in the screw mechanism so I can loosen it if it should happen again:)

John Lanciani
11-24-2011, 8:30 PM
Drop your hand plane (or square, or bubble level, or chisel, or cell phone...) from bench height, five times, onto concrete, and report back. :D

Yup. I don't really think the FWW test has much merit. I guarantee that I could drop the Jorgensen I-bar clamp pictured earlier five times from bench height and make sure that it never works right again (that long screw with the t handle looks very vulnerable). Are they going to start drop testing routers next??:rolleyes: