PDA

View Full Version : Electric Chainsaw Recommendation

Paul Heely
11-22-2011, 7:56 AM
Can anyone recommend an electric chainsaw model and/or brand? Thanks to the storms in CT, I just came into a load of ambrosia maple and elm that I will not be able to turn for a little while. I'm using my gas saw to get the blanks split, then anchor sealing and storing them in the shop until I can rough them out. I really don't want to have to haul them back outside in order to trim them somewhat round and they are too big for my bandsaw. I was thinking that an electric chainsaw might be a good solution for now.

Darryl Hansen
11-22-2011, 8:17 AM
Makita is great but a bit pricy. Stihl has one too. Stay away from anything that has a plastic drive wheel like the Remington. they just will not take the strain of green lumber.

Dick Wilson
11-22-2011, 8:28 AM
Hi Paul, I wanted to be able to prep wood for the lathe in my basement. Electric is the only way to go. I had two electric chainsaws I purchased from a local big box store. The motors on both burned out. A friend has a Makita that I have used. Great saw. Pricey but well worth the money. I agree with Darryl on Makita and Stihl. If you pick up a saw and it is "light as a feather" stay away from it. It is probably made out of plastic parts AND a way under powered motor.

Robert Henrickson
11-22-2011, 8:40 AM
I have a Makita. It has served well.

Bob Wolfe
11-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree with Darryl stay away from Remington. Last week my $20 Craigslist Remington 16" electric saw finally bit the dust. I have had to fix about anything I could imagine in the 2 years I've owned it, but I can't fix a stripped plastic drive gear. I ran across a brand that I never heard of, WORX, that had a lot of good reviews on the internet. Apparently it is sold by the big box stores and even Woodcraft, but only special order in my area. I found a 16" model at ACE Hardware and took it home. I processed a load of fresh cut oak into blanks and it never missed a beat. The saw is heavier than others I've used which keeps it from bouncing during the cut. It also has steel dogs that allow you to use some mechanical leverage during the cut. It feels rugged and not cheap at all, while the cost is quite reasonable. I am happy with it so far but obviously I can't attest for durability. I'm a hobbyist who only uses the saw occasionally to process turning blanks. Good luck with your decision.
http://www.amazon.com/WORX-WG303-16-Inch-Electric-Chain/dp/B002MAPZX8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1321974415&sr=8-6

Scott Lux
11-22-2011, 10:58 AM
+1 on the WORX. Mine doesn't have a lot of hours yet. But it's done all I asked of it.

Paul Heely
11-22-2011, 6:06 PM
Looks like I'll put the WORX at the top of my list. Almost had a heart attack when I checked out the price for an electric Stihl. That's almost what I paid for my MS310.

Thanks everyone.

Harry Robinette
11-22-2011, 9:14 PM
Paul
I have an 18" Pulan electric I know allot of guys don't like them but mine has been great. It doesn't get allot of use in the summer but come fall and winter it runs all the time. It's a 4 hp and has cut anything I had so far.
Just my $.02

Bob Hamilton
11-22-2011, 9:38 PM
If you have already ripped the logs into blanks and only need to trim corners/length, then you can get by with pretty much any electric. It is the ripping that kills the cheaper electrics, at least in my experience. I have a 16" Poulan and a 16" Remington that I found were just not up to the task of ripping. The Poulan clogs with the shavings and the chain jumps off the sprocket. It is just fine for crosscutting and trimming the corners, but not for ripping. The Remington burnt the brush wires off after just a few hours of ripping. I repaired it and it works just fine for crosscutting and trimming, too.

I gave up on the cheap saws for ripping and bought an electric Stihl with a 20" bar. You're right, I could have bought a gas saw cheaper, but I just don't seem to get along with 2 stroke motors and I live in a residential neighborhood so I am sure my neighbors prefer me having an electric saw, too. :)

Take care
Bob

tom martin
11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Paul,
I went through the same thing last fall. I bought the 16" makita from Amazon for $200. It doesn't leak oil, has more power than I thought possible in an electric, is light and has no trouble ripping logs in half. I wish I would have bought it years ago! I love my saw!
Tom

Jack Gaskins
11-23-2011, 5:21 AM
Makita!!!! I bought mine on ebay used. Nothing wrong with it. Works better than my Husky and I can use it in the garage without without loosing my freakin hearing. If it broke today I would run right out and by another one without even looking at any others!

Jack

Alan Trout
11-23-2011, 8:44 AM
I have a Stihl E20. I bought mine used for $200 new they are $500. It is a heck of saw. To me it seems to have about the same power as a 40CC saw but not quite the blade speed. But it does not stall. The body is all magnesium and built like a tank. Simply put it is the best built electric on the market but it is very expensive.

Alan

Jeff Fagen
11-23-2011, 3:51 PM
I've been very happy with my Polen Pro $90.00,lots of power and I've cut up lots of blanks with it.