PDA

View Full Version : OxiClean for Vector Table???

Edi Royer
11-22-2011, 3:20 AM
I need to clean my vector cutting table again.
I've been using Mr. Clean all purpose cleaner (like for mopping floors) and it works well, but I used OxiClean the other day for another purpose and got to wondering if it would work for my vector table.

My question: Are there any ingredients/chemicals in OxiClean that I should look for before using it? I know some cleaners will eat the aluminum and I was curious if anyone had tried this or if it will work.

~Edi

Mike Null
11-22-2011, 8:28 AM
If it attacks aluminum the label will say so.

Bruce Hoffman
11-22-2011, 12:04 PM
There are many pages when you google oxiclean & aluminum. Definitely a dangerous potential, read some pages and use great care, unless you expect to get a new cutting table for xmas or hanukah [sp?]

Happy cleaning and happy holidays.

Craig Matheny
11-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I have been using a chemical that Epilog suggested but have tried to shift from it as it does attack the aluminium I use it about once every 6 months now. For the regular cleaning weekly in my case cutting birch ply 12 hours a day I started using Krud Kutter works well lots of people suggested it and it is great if you stay on top of the cleaning spray it on wait hose it off Done :D

Phyllis Rhodes
11-23-2011, 12:00 AM
i buy krud kutter by the gallon! that stuff is great. just like Craig said.... spray it on, wait a bit, hose it off. i put my dirty vector tables standing on end in the sink in our garage. spray them down first with hot water, then spray krud kutter.. and the gunk immediately starts running off. i usually do several sprays/rinses until it gets as clean as i want it.

Edi Royer
11-23-2011, 1:10 AM
Thank you for your replies everyone. I had heard about Krud Kutter before and it sounds like that's the way to go.

What dept. do I find that in? Regular household cleaning or automotive?

I think I'll stay away from the OxiClean!

Craig Matheny
11-23-2011, 12:49 PM
i went to depot and lowes they have it in the cleaning area white bottle red white lable. go to krudkutter dot com and look at it and they will also tell you who carries it.

Larry Allred
01-07-2012, 2:57 AM
Zep purple industrial cleaner also works. Home Depot has it by the gallon. I lay the grid in a plastic bin, cover it with water and pour in a bunch of Zep. 10-15 minutes soak and spray it off with a hose. Comes out clean with no damage.

Craig Matheny
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Larry the Zep industrial cleaner over time will cause damage that is what I have used for about 2 years and my honey comb is very weak and flexable it has a chemical reaction with aluminum read the label you will see the warning. Good luck be careful I still use it when the grid is real bad in between I use Krud Kutter now

Mark Ross
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Depending on what you cut, nothing may cut it. We cut nothing but acrylics and eventual (every six months or so) we just replace the grid. We cut the same patterns over and over and over so the build up is always in the same places. The most I have ever been able to do is get the gunk soft and sticky, which just made it more prone to flare ups. I really got to get off my lazy butt and build a pin table...

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Mark,

No idea if this would work (and I've never bothered to try it myself), but what about burning off the crud? Take a propane torch to the nasty areas (do this outside, obviously), so if it gets it crusty enough for Krud Kutter to remove the rest of the way. Whether or not it's cheaper than purchasing a new grid is determined by how much slave labor you have on hand.

Edi Royer
01-10-2012, 6:48 AM
I got some Krud Kutter and it worked great. All they had at the time was the spray on type. I'll buy the concentrate next time so I can soak the table a little better.

I mainly cut lacquered alder sheets and chipboard. Nothing too dirty, but the lacquer can build up over time!

The torch is sure worth a try...and then I can put the boyfriend to work :)

Dan Hintz
01-10-2012, 7:59 AM
The torch is sure worth a try...and then I can put the boyfriend to work :)
Bad idea... handing a guy a fire-making device and telling him to accomplish a task is a sure-fire way (no pun intended) to not get the task done, and likely have something blow up in the process.