PDA

View Full Version : New poster

doug williams
11-21-2011, 8:19 PM
213450 New poster, trying to learn up-loads and posting. Some really beautiful turnings on here and creativity to say the least. It gets the ideas flowing for me to try new things. I have learned a lot by reading these posts, thanks to everyone here. This is a turning I saw at a show last winter, spalted beech laminated to walnut. It's about 7 inches around, and fun to create, had to make some clamps for my cole jaws for one thing to turn the second side. Thought I would try to post and not be a lurker anymore. Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2011, 8:23 PM
Doug - Welcome to posting on the Creek! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

If you have any questions about uploading, photo sizes, whatever, drop me or any of the mods, a PM.

Jim Burr
11-21-2011, 8:26 PM
That's really cool Doug!! Thanks for posting and more pic's of your vase!!

David E Keller
11-21-2011, 8:49 PM
Welcome! I love that vase... Those flattish forms have had my attention for a while, and I'd love to know more about how you did that one!

David Reed
11-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Like DK, I also like this flat form - lovely piece and great wood. How did the Cole jaws work out for you? I am thinking of making a set but uncertain how well they actually work.

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Welcome Doug. Jump right in. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Vase looks mighty fine to me.

John Keeton
11-22-2011, 6:23 AM
Doug, always great to have another poster! Very nice work on the vase, and an excellent choice of complimenting woods. The beech is very interesting - hope you have more of it! Don't be scarce - let us see more of your turnings.

Dan Hintz
11-22-2011, 6:29 AM
That gives me an idea for what to do with some of that heavily-ambrosia'd Maple DAMP just started cutting. Nice! :)

doug williams
11-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the comments, It was fun to make once I figured it out. Hopefully I can explain it to you. I put a 1/4 inch piece of plywood on the center of the tail stock side about 1 inch square with sticky tape, drew my circle from that point to rough out on the band saw. Then with double sticky tape on a 2 inch oak face plate in the chuck carefully centered the piece. Once shaped on both sides and sanded as far as I could reach on the back side, backed out the tail stock and gently finished that side, surprisingly it spun like a top, just the small area to finish in the center. Then mounted 1 1/2 pieces oriented on cole jaws to fit the size of the vase fastened from the back. Then turned a u-shaped under cut to hold the vase just enough so as to turn the headstock side. Put a dial indicater close to the outside of the vase and tapped on it back and forth till it was within about .006 ths, then finished it like a bowl only with a convex side. Then made a sled with v-blocks to hold the vase to save my fingers for the TS leaving enough to over hang the side of it then rotate it to cut the other side. Makes it easier to sand the flat sides and get a good edge square to the vase. Sneak up on what you cut off for the bottom and top so it looks proportioned to the vase. Hope this helps to explain the process for some one to try. It's been fun. Thanks Doug

James Combs
11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Doug welcome to the creek. The "how-you-did-it" narative is an always welcome addition to any post. Many of us, including myself, are relatively new to turning and can always use how to comments and ideas.

Baxter Smith
11-22-2011, 1:18 PM
Welcome Doug. That is a very attractive holder and would be a great way to use some pretty wood! Thanks for sharing your process!