PDA

View Full Version : Drill Baby, drill ?

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-21-2011, 9:09 AM
I got old Delta tenoning jig and would like to reposition miter slide. Holes on base did not change much - still big distance from blade. Should I look for metalworking shop in my area and ask them or drill by myself. I don't have a good experience in metal work, may be few holes on cast iron table saw:eek:.
And I really don't want to screw this up:mad::mad:.
Ed.

Bill Huber
11-21-2011, 9:33 AM
I think you have to make that decision yourself, if you and not conformable in doing it then you should just take it and have it done. But it is really not that hard to work in metal, lay out the places you need the hole, center punch those points. Now just start with a small drill and drill them. Then step up to the next larger and then the finial size.
Drill it slow and use some lubricant and you should have no problem.

Jerome Hanby
11-21-2011, 9:49 AM
I had a similar issue running the newer model on my Craftsman saw. I added a hardwood piece to the face to move my material closer to the blade. 3/4" did it for me.

Kent A Bathurst
11-21-2011, 9:54 AM
Drilling and tapping a couple holes in metal is a fairly easy exercise.

HOWEVER - keeping the results of a tenoning jig modification dead-nuts parallel to the saw blade..........well, I wouldn't try it myself - I'd be creating a boat anchor.

Something along the lines of Jerome's solution, or a machine shop, is my advice.

Harvey Melvin Richards
11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I modified my Delta jig at least 15 years ago and it wasn't too difficult. All I had at the time was a drill press. I would have to dig it out to figure out how I modified it.

Myk Rian
11-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't have a good experience in metal work, may be few holes on cast iron table saw.
And I really don't want to screw this up
Don't do it on the table saw.

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-21-2011, 7:55 PM
Myk, thank you for advise :).
My biggest concern is not drilling holes, but precision of drilling holes. I think I will go to machinist shop.
Ed.

Peter Quinn
11-21-2011, 8:08 PM
Given the precise relationship of the miter slide to the rest of the mechanism this may be a task better suited to a machinist if you are not equipped for and comfortable
with the procedure. I love tapered tenons as much as the next guy, but I sort of like to control the taper and when it occurs.:eek: Working in metal is not particularly difficult IME at a basic level but it is certainly not wood. There is a learning curve, different bits, taps, center drills, punches, things that make it all go well. Its not quite as simple as chucking up any old drill bit and having at it. It also helps to have a really good drill press and/or a Bridgeport for many operations that involve precision tooling. I'd at least get an estimate of the work. It may not be worth your time and effort to do your self if you are not already set up to do so. I once spent $120 in tools to tap 5 holes in a steel bar by the time I was done. I got bits, lube, punches, center drills, tap extractors to remove the taps I broke, more drill bits, a new steel bar, etc. Great learning experience, not so practical in the short run, but at this point I'm pretty comfortable with basic metal work because of it. Some things are like that.