PDA

View Full Version : End "table"

Chad Easterling
11-21-2011, 8:32 AM
Whipped together a new end table for the living room this weekend. It is replacing a really bad eye sore table that was being used temporarily.

Sides and back are shop-made tounge-and-groove planking. Top is edge-glued boards wrapped to hide the end grain. Body is made from clear pine. Drawers are made from 1/2" poplar. Only light sanding on everything to give it that aged, hand-planed, distressed appearance.

Finish is 1 light coat of Valspar flat clear spray to lift the grain. Sanded. 1 coat coat flat black spay paint. Distressed. Old English for dark woods on the distressed areas. 2 coats of Valspar spay satin finish, sanded between coats.

Runners and bottoms of drawers "waxed" with candle wax to ensure smooth, easy operation.

The pulls are satin window case "locks". The knob is just a simple satin finished knob. Had to cut the head off of a screw and glue it into the knob so I could just screw the knob into the end of the pull out extension.

Later!

Jim Rimmer
11-21-2011, 1:19 PM
Nice looking table. You made that in one weekend?

Chad Easterling
11-21-2011, 2:18 PM
I started Friday afternoon and wrapped it up Sunday before lunch. I have about 20 hours or so in it.

Larry Browning
11-21-2011, 4:02 PM
I just do not have any kind of understanding of how people can work that fast. They do not live in my universe. It would take me 20 hours to study the plans and pick out the stock. On one level I am a bit envious of anyone that can do this. On another level I am thankful that I can't do it. It saves me money, because it takes me so long to build things I really get my money's worth out of every stick of wood. You know what they say, time is money. In my case, the faster I work the more it cost me.

Chad Easterling
11-21-2011, 5:53 PM
I understand where you are coming from. On my larger projects where there is a lot of material costs, I take a lot longer. On these types of projects, I typically have some if not all of the materials left over from previous projects. I can picture projects like this in my head, so I don't have the time studying plans in there. I just head to the shop and start working. It drives my wife crazy because she can't "see" what I am making before its done.

Between work, teaching and family, I don't get much shop time anymore. I have to take full advantage of what I get :)

Jeff Monson
11-21-2011, 7:35 PM
Very nice Chad, lots of progress in a short amount of time for sure! You did a nice job.

gary Zimmel
11-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Lightning fast to me.... Shows me you are pretty organized when you hit the shop.
Nice work on the table Chad.

Chad Easterling
11-22-2011, 7:12 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm not sure if it is good or bad, but being a software developer where schedules are always tight and demanding has forced me to be really organized. I guess this has flowed over to the shop. One great thing, however, is the fact that the shop is a huge stress reliever for me. It had been way too long since I had been in there.