PDA

View Full Version : Ogee Mesquite Bowl

Kathy Marshall
11-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Felt so good to have the lathe running again that I just had to get something spinning!
This is from a piece of "a little more dry than wet" mesquite. The shape of the wood was the determining factor for the shape of the bowl. I wanted some sapwood accents on the outside and was going for solid heartwood on the inside, but I guess I should have turned a little more off the outside so I wouldn't have met up with the sapwood on the inside.
I still like it. It's about 9" x 3" with just a coat of danish oil so far. I'll add a few coats of WOP and if needed will knock back the gloss for a soft finish.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Baxter Smith
11-20-2011, 11:42 PM
That is some pretty wood. The balanced colors work well Kathy!

Dan Forman
11-21-2011, 3:30 AM
Oh I like this one, dig the eyes looking out at me from inside the bowl. Lots of interesting figure going on in there. Nice form too.

Dan

Roger Chandler
11-21-2011, 6:57 AM
Real nice! How thick are the walls Kathy?

John Keeton
11-21-2011, 7:14 AM
Nice work on the ogee curve, Kathy - that is a tough one for a lot of folks.

Russell Eaton
11-21-2011, 7:28 AM
Kathy that is a great shape on the bowl. I did one very similar to it this past Sat. at a demo at Rockler. Yours turned out much better than mine, I made it out of Maple. It has no real color to it. Thanks for showing, and REAL glad the lathe is fixed.

Doug W Swanson
11-21-2011, 7:50 AM
Another great bowl, Kathy!

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2011, 7:57 AM
Nice! Good form and I like all the color variations in the wood!

Congrats on getting your lathe back up and running!!

charlie knighton
11-21-2011, 10:51 AM
very now, Kathy

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Really nice Kathy. Like the ogee shape and the wood is beautiful.

steven carter
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Beautiful bowl! I like the wide rim, and the finish says "pick me up a feel how smooth I am". I've only turned one piece of mesquite, but really enjoyed it. My wife will not let it go anywhere even though it had bark inclusions which she generally doesn't care for.

Hayes Rutherford
11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Nice piece and great wood. The danish oil looks good on my screen.

Robert McGowen
11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Nice bowl, Kathy. You have the sapwood so well centered that it really works in my opinion. It might have looked funny if it was all off to one side. I also like the downward sloping rim.

Scott Hackler
11-21-2011, 1:34 PM
Another great bowl, Kathy. The rim treatment (tapered down) really adds to the bowl, IMO.

Cathy Schaewe
11-21-2011, 3:20 PM
I like it - it looks very holdable.

Kathy Marshall
11-22-2011, 1:33 AM
Thanks for the great comments everyone!
I'm thinking of trying a platter to match, might make a nice set.

Real nice! How thick are the walls Kathy?
I didn't measure Roger, but I'd estimate them at 1/4" or just a tad under.

Nice bowl, Kathy. You have the sapwood so well centered that it really works in my opinion. It might have looked funny if it was all off to one side. I also like the downward sloping rim.

Another great bowl, Kathy. The rim treatment (tapered down) really adds to the bowl, IMO.
Robert and Scott, the sloping rim wasn't intentional. I coulda swore is was level when I was turning it, but I do like it. I might have to explore this option a little further.

Noah Barfield
11-22-2011, 2:42 AM
Is that black walnut? It's gorgeous!

Noah

Rick Markham
11-22-2011, 4:54 AM
Noah it's Mesquite!

Kathy, glad ya got the lathe working! I would feel pretty lost if mine wasn't working. I love the bowl, I too like the eyes staring at me! It looks like perfect shape, makes me want to see what it feels like.

John Keeton
11-22-2011, 6:47 AM
Robert and Scott, the sloping rim wasn't intentional. I coulda swore is was level when I was turning it, but I do like it. I might have to explore this option a little further.Kathy, generally, IMO flat/level rims don't work as well as having some slope one way or the other. You do some fine work - even when you don't intend it!!:D It is the arteest in you!!