PDA

View Full Version : Router time.....

Todd Davidson
03-06-2005, 9:12 AM
The time has come to retire a couple of Craftsman routers that I use in the field.

Am going to take my PC combo out of my shop and into my truck. Have pretty well decided on purchasing the Hitachi M12V for my table (proven work horse and a good deal through Amazon right now) - although I could be persuaded if anyone knows of a better machine at a comparable price.

Can't seem to decide which 11amp plunge/fixed kit to purchase. Am thinking about the newer Craftsman set (made by Bosch). Hitachi has a good price. Porter Cable is a personal favorite. What have you guys had luck with?

Bob Winkler
03-06-2005, 2:08 PM
Todd, I love my Bosch 1617EVS. If the Craftsman is similar, it can't be too bad. I know you like Craftsman. I also have a PC690 that I bought for a steal at Spags.

BTW, Coastal tool in West Hartford has a good selection, and often competes very well in price. I bought several Bosch tools there. You can check out their website.

Bob

Jim Becker
03-06-2005, 2:17 PM
For a mid-range router kit, you can't beat the PC 890 series or the DW618. Both are 12 amp powerhouses with a lot of great features. These are the two to beat right now, IMHO.

Kent Cori
03-06-2005, 5:35 PM
I have both the Bosch 1617EVSPK for hand use and the Hitachi M12V for my router table. Both have been real work horses. I can't say enough good things about the Bosch which I believe is now offered by Sears in Craftsman clothing. The Hitachi has been good too although I am not quite as enthusiastic about it as I am about the Bosch. If the Freud was the same price or even a few buck more, I would go with that the next time.

Todd Davidson
03-06-2005, 6:06 PM
Bob~
The Craftsman 0926620 combo is the Bosch 1617EVS combo except clad in Red (both come with the same accessories as well) With "Craftsman Club" savings and the 10% coupon available for download online, the Craftsman combo would be $179 - about $20 less than the Bosch combo at Coastal (Coastal is a great toy, err, tool store). My PC combo is the 690 series (with the fixed base mounted to the table I picked up from you - an excellent portable station that is replacing an older Craftsman aluminum table & router for use on job sites).
Does your Bosch take the PC style guide bushings?

Jim~
I meant to inquire about 12amp (not 11amp). I'm a fan of PC tools (and, as Bob mentioned, many of Craftsman's portable/hand held power tools) and have had mixed results with Dewalt. I'm wondering if I'd be sacrificing quality by going with the Bosch/Craftsman combo over the PC combo given the PC is about $100 more (and the Dewalt about $50). Read a review on the Hitachi combo this afternoon which helped eliminate this from my short list. What particularly did you like about the Dewalt?

Much appreciate the info! Thanks!!

Bob Yarbrough
03-06-2005, 7:01 PM
I bought the "new" model PC last month at Rocklers. The fixed base is attached to the Router table and you can change bits and adjust height from above the table with the PC tool. Have a plunge base sitting in the case. You get two cases with the router. Very pleased with it.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-06-2005, 7:08 PM
You almost have to work to find a bad router today. Bosch, Portable Cable, Dewalt and Hitachi are all good brands. Find one that fits you needs in the color you like and you're set!

Larry D. Wagner
03-06-2005, 7:32 PM
Todd,

I notice you said you have had mixed results with Dewalt. What results? I can say in all honesty that I think the DW routers are the best out there.(including everyone's favorite PC) I have 3 of them and they have been used frequently as hand held and table mount. I made a very careful check before purchasing my latest 618 Kit and could not find any that were as user friendly or had any more power.(Makita, Bosch, PC) I do not in any way mean to put the other units down, because I know they are all excellent. Besides I just bought a new Freud 2000 for my newest router table(yet to be completed) because I was able to purchase it for $152.00 at Menard's 17% off sale, because it fit in the bag.:D (The guys on this board gave it a big thumbs up)

It sounds like you make a living with your tools, so whatever one you choose, I hope it serves you well!

Larry:) :) :)

Todd Davidson
03-06-2005, 7:56 PM
Kent~

Your set-up is what I'm shooting for. What did you find disappointing about the Hitachi? The Hitachi is the only 15amp router I've had experience using. It's cumbersome for me to hand route with, but I've liked it in the table.
What do you think are the advantages of the Freud? The Freud is $25 more ($185 thru Amazon) but the 5 year warranty and the accessories package (adj knob, edgeguide, etc) really sweeten the Hitachi (at $160 - plus they throw in a 1/4 sheet sander - can't ever have too many of those :D....).
Glad to hear you really like your Bosch combo. Read a good review on the Bosch after my last post.

Todd Davidson
03-06-2005, 8:34 PM
Larry~

Sorry that my comment on my experiences with Dewalt tools was vague. I meant with what I've experienced using various tools from their line - and those mostly in building/remodeling. I've never used any of their routers before. My budget is limited, so before I make a decision I thought I'd run it through the Creek. Will have to make a trip to Coastal tools tomorrow to check out the Dewalt, PC, and Bosch side by side.
Do you know of any good reviews on the Freud? I think Woodcraft is the only place I know of in Ct that carries the Freud, but I'm not often out that way. Would love to hear more on the Freud.

Todd Davidson
03-06-2005, 8:38 PM
Dennis~

I'm gonna have to hold out for purple .....:D

Bob Noles
03-06-2005, 9:15 PM
Todd,

I have the DW618PK and absolutely love it. As a matter of fact, I love it so much that I just ordered the D handle base for it. It is really a sweet machine. It is my "only" router both in and out of the table.