PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine jig newbie

Jonathan Smith
11-20-2011, 5:54 PM
I bought a 46-460, that worked for a day then has been in the shop for 5 weeks! I just picked it up and to celebrate I picked up a grinding jig.

I have an old slow speed grinder from Woodcraft and just bought the Wolverine jig and Varigrind. Now it looks like I need to build a base. I've used one in a class but don't remember the details. Perhaps there was a block to set the gouge into the verigrind (I bought the old version not the II on the recommendation of folks here.)

Did you mount your on plywood? Do you leave the metal covers over the wheels. They seem to interfere with the brackets that go under the wheels and might interfere with grinding?

I've got some 3\4 birch ply and will pick up some bolts tomorrow to bolt down the grinder I think.

Any suggestions or especially pictures of your setup appreciated!

Thanks, newly addicted,
Jonathan

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-20-2011, 7:02 PM
I have mine set as high as possible without it contacting the bottom of the wheel guards. I leave my guards in place for safety reasons. You will have plenty of adjustment to get the grinding angle you want by how far you set the jig from the wheels. The video. I think it is available on Oneway's web site, will tell you where to set the leg on the jig for bowl gouges versus spindle gouges. Goof luck.
faust

John Keeton
11-20-2011, 7:07 PM
Jonathan, Doug Thompson has a nice .pdf on his site here (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/images/extra/Sharpening.pdf) that will help you with getting the right setting of your jig, and help you with the grind angles on the various gouges, etc. If you mount your grinder on a 3/4" plywood base, it should work fine, but there is an instruction sheet here (http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000109AA.pdf) that will help you with the setup.

Glad you got your lathe fixed!!

Jonathan Smith
11-28-2011, 6:47 AM
Thanks for the helpful replys! I left the guards on and read the PDFs, very helpful. I also peeked at the setup at the Columbus, OH Woodcraft. Bolted to a piece of MDF it is movable which I like.

Thanks again,
Jonathan