PDA

View Full Version : Black granite tile from the Home Depot and a Canadian winter

Luke Hartman
11-20-2011, 4:01 PM
Hello
I am engraving granite tile for signs that I purchased from the home depot. The granite tiles will be attached to peoples houses with the polished side out. I will seal them with a stone and tile sealer on all sides. Has any one had any problem or experience with them cracking from the freezing and warming effect. ( a Canadian winter) They are from India and just want to know what other peoples experience are. Thanks Luke

Dee Gallo
11-20-2011, 4:32 PM
Hi Luke,

I have done black granite tiles from HD and they have held up fine in the winter. I have one outside as a marker for my dog who died and it's been several years now, no difference in how it looks...even though a woodchuck tried to move it, bury it and live under it. I live in Northern NY, about 15 miles from the Canadian border so that's a pretty even test for you. I have a customer who put one on his house, cemented in with other tiles and it's fine too.

cheers, dee

Tim Neal
11-20-2011, 6:28 PM
Hi Dee - do you remember what settings you used for the HD tiles, and what did you use for colorfill? Thanks.

Hi Luke,

I have done black granite tiles from HD and they have held up fine in the winter. I have one outside as a marker for my dog who died and it's been several years now, no difference in how it looks...even though a woodchuck tried to move it, bury it and live under it. I live in Northern NY, about 15 miles from the Canadian border so that's a pretty even test for you. I have a customer who put one on his house, cemented in with other tiles and it's fine too.

cheers, dee

Dee Gallo
11-20-2011, 6:46 PM
Hi Tim,

No of course I don't remember those settings! That's why I keep a log... so I can keep my brain nice and cleaned out, hahaha.

HD granite tile (black)
type: 80 sp/80power
line art: 50 sp/65 power
greyscale: 100 sp/27-40 power
photo: 100sp/56 power/300 dpi standard or Stucki

I have a 35w Epilog, so your settings will be different because of the power difference. I always do a test strip, I keep a spare tile just for that.

I have used artist's oils for color fill (Titanium white). I'm not sure I like the color fill look, but it does increase the contrast nicely. I did a test comparing PhotoShop vs. Photograv using the same file and polled 50 people... most of them liked the overall PhotoGrav better because of the contrast, but they did regret losing the detail from PhotoShop...so it was inconclusive.

cheers, dee

Luke Hartman
11-20-2011, 9:06 PM
Hi Luke,

cheers, dee
Thanks dee for information Luke

Bill Cunningham
11-20-2011, 10:19 PM
If your mounting them onto a building, I would recommend using a 'flexible' adh. That way you won't have problems with shrink/expand due to temp. A solid non flexing adh. will eventually break free and drop the tile as it expands and contracts in difference to the surface it's stuck to. Granite etches with fairly low power.. For just text, I will run at 400 dpi/25%speed/100% power, and burn it in.. For halftones, you would want to drop the power and increse the speed.. The tiles are cheap, it's best to experiment..

Dee Gallo
11-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Luke and Tim, I would trust what Bill says, he has a lot more skill than I do here.

Martin Boekers
11-21-2011, 9:52 AM
If I remember correctly, HD will do straight cuts on the marble for you if you need a different size
or proportion.

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I too have done memorial plaques, and with no finish coat of anything on them they have held up just fine in our wet climate where it gets to about 10F at times in winter.

Bill Cunningham
11-22-2011, 10:33 PM
For granite, I usually seal the face with a stone sealer (I use the H.D. Stuff) I don't seal the back if it's being stuck to something, just in case the sealer prevents the adh. from bonding to the back..Don't know if it does or not, but why take the chance..

Kevin Clark2227
11-13-2012, 1:19 PM
The granite tiles that I found at both Home Depot and Lowes say for indoor use not outdoor. But since it is not to be used as flooring, it should be okay correct?

Lee DeRaud
11-13-2012, 1:47 PM
The granite tiles that I found at both Home Depot and Lowes say for indoor use not outdoor. But since it is not to be used as flooring, it should be okay correct?I'd say they're fine for outdoor non-flooring apps. The issue with them (even indoor) is that tracking sand over them will make visible scratches, i.e. it's better for "barefoot" rooms rather than entryways.