PDA

View Full Version : Aspen and Walnut segmented vase

Curt Fuller
11-20-2011, 1:15 PM
I picked up a used copy of Malcolm Tibbetts segmenting book at a garage sale a while back. So I decided to try and use some of his techniques instead of learning everything the hard way like I usually do. This is just very basic simple segmenting 101 but just following his instructions for cutting and sanding the segments made this work so much better than any attempt I've ever done before. Still, it's tedious and time consuming beyond my level of patience. I cannot even begin to imagine how he can do a piece like the recent one he posted on WOW (16,384 pieces). Anyway, this is a vase (kind of that amphora style), made from Quaking Aspen and Walnut, 8" x 3.25", 128 pieces, finished with Antique Oil.

Al Wasser
11-20-2011, 1:40 PM
Aspen and walnut seem like a strange combo -- one hard, and one very soft, but you did a good job with them. Nice piece!

Roger Chandler
11-20-2011, 1:43 PM
MMMMM......Pressed! Nice going Curt.......I have not had the time nor patience as of yet........something I would really like to get into, however at present I don't have time to take 2 or 3 weeks to do something like this............maybe at a latter time!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Pete Jordan
11-20-2011, 1:55 PM
Very cool Curt!

I love the woven look!

Nate Davey
11-20-2011, 1:56 PM
That looks great, Curt. Love the inlay. I don't have the attention span for segmenting.

Scott Hackler
11-20-2011, 2:36 PM
Curt, that turned out great! I love the dark outline around the top and bottom. And the aspen has a cool effect that looks gradient. Really nice work.

Robert McGowen
11-20-2011, 3:25 PM
Nice work, Curt. You will find that segmenting is addictive. Start planning your second one!

David E Keller
11-20-2011, 3:30 PM
Beautiful! You're obviously a quick study of Malcolm's book! I love the effect you got from the aspen, and the walnut provides great contrast! Super work!

Josh Bowman
11-20-2011, 3:42 PM
Wow! Looks like a basket.

Jim Burr
11-20-2011, 3:46 PM
This really has a dimentional look Curt...the grain of the Aspen is great! You done good!

John Keeton
11-20-2011, 4:03 PM
Alright, Curt - fess up!! Did you plan the effect of the aspen, or just "fall into" that one?!?!?!;):D Wonderful look, and a great combination of woods, too. Joinery is excellent, and alignment looks great.

I have seen you drifting this way with the segmented ornaments - are us commoners going to lose you to the segmented side?

Joe Watson
11-20-2011, 8:26 PM
Sweet - really nice job.
Love how the 7th ring for the bottom "flairs" into the segment next to each other.

he posted on WOW (16,384 pieces) That donut was just mind blowing.

_

Allan Ferguson
11-20-2011, 9:12 PM
Turned some bowls from green Aspen. Cut like a cotton clothes line rope. How did this turn for you ? Really like the woven basket look.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2011, 9:28 PM
Curt that is a good looking piece. I like the top and bottom accent.

Joshua Dinerstein
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Oooh I like it. I love the accent of the dark against the light. A great choice in wood and the shape is great. Thanks for sharing!

Joshua

Curt Fuller
11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks you guys!

Turned some bowls from green Aspen. Cut like a cotton clothes line rope. How did this turn for you ? Really like the woven basket look.
Allan, I know what you mean about green Aspen. But this was from some aspen boards I bought at Lowes. It's kiln dried and planed and all that so it was pretty nice work with. I picked a board with quite a bit of color in it. I might try another from some of the more pure white they have.

Alright, Curt - fess up!! Did you plan the effect of the aspen, or just "fall into" that one?!?!?!;):D Wonderful look, and a great combination of woods, too. Joinery is excellent, and alignment looks great.

I have seen you drifting this way with the segmented ornaments - are us commoners going to lose you to the segmented side?
I fell into this, definitely not planned. In fact it didn't really take on that basket look until I applied the AO. I knew the Aspen was one of those shimmery "chatoyancey" type woods but it worked out different than I was expecting.
I don't think I could ever get to serious about this segmenting. It takes way more patience than I have. But it's fun to play around with one once in a while.

Nice work, Curt. You will find that segmenting is addictive. Start planning your second one!
Actually Robert it's some of your work that got me wanting to try this again. I like your pieces that emphasize form more than the intricate patterns.

Aspen and walnut seem like a strange combo -- one hard, and one very soft, but you did a good job with them. Nice piece!
It's a long drive to a hardwood store from here so I used the aspen because I could buy it at Lowes and for the color. I was shooting for one of those maple/walnut contrasts that always look so good.

Kathy Marshall
11-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Looks great Curt! The effect of the aspen is really cool too!

Dan Forman
11-21-2011, 3:54 AM
Very nice, that wood has a lot more character than any aspen I've seen.

Dan

Mike Cruz
11-21-2011, 7:38 AM
That is awesome, Curt. I love it!

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2011, 8:01 AM
Wow - is that ever cool looking!! Beautiful work Curt! Love the texture that the Aspen gives the piece! Very nice!