PDA

View Full Version : Another little bowl...

mickey cassiba
11-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Here's another chunk of the Texas Ebony...this one is a slice of crotchety branch, with a little split up the side. I used a glued on waste block for this one, so I didn't have to turn away the chocolaty goodness of the heartwood. I used a little BLO to try to pop the grain, with less than desired results. I filled the split with epoxy and turquoise, but ended up cutting most of it away.Finish is lacquer(4 coats) and a top coat of paste wax.2 1/2" wide by 1 3/8" tall. 213313 I like making these little bowls...kinda relaxing.

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Cool little bowl on one of the tougher forms. Love the wood.

Jim Burr
11-19-2011, 10:38 PM
You did great with such a little size! Look for a rounder bottom in the future...not a blob. I personally like blobs, they are a bit on the tough side to get right! You did a good job holding this one together and the finish is really nice!

mickey cassiba
11-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks fellas, the wood actually dictated the shape(design opportunities:)) The plan was a rounder base and a recurved rim, but the chunk had other plans.

David E Keller
11-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I like it! Texas ebony is beautiful wood, and I like that you made an effort to keep the heart/sap contrast on this one. I've turned a little Texas ebony, and it gave me fits finishing... I'll have to try lacquer next time!

mickey cassiba
11-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I like it! Texas ebony is beautiful wood, and I like that you made an effort to keep the heart/sap contrast on this one. I've turned a little Texas ebony, and it gave me fits finishing... I'll have to try lacquer next time!
The ebony was a little oily, I washed it down with dna before finishing(along with a lot of acetone to get the rescue CA off of the surface...the poor little thing tried to self destruct repeatedly)

John Keeton
11-20-2011, 7:46 AM
Mick, it was worth the effort! While rounder shapes are the norm, you actually did a good job matching the curve in at the bottom with the curve out in the rim. I am not a big fan of "recurve" forms with the exception of the outward flaring ogee. For me, it is difficult to get them to look right, but I will say this one is kind of cute!!

mickey cassiba
11-20-2011, 7:29 PM
Mr K., coming from you that means a lot. Thanks!
This one was a setup for the other half of the branch. Hopefully it won't blow up on me.

Joe Watson
11-20-2011, 8:10 PM
Nice job, came out real nice - i like it.

Allan Ferguson
11-20-2011, 8:40 PM
You can definitely feel good about this one.

Baxter Smith
11-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Neat little bowl Mickey. The little ones are sometimes the most useful in that they can be used for about anything and anywhere.

Dan Forman
11-21-2011, 3:27 AM
Good looking little bowl. Like Baxter said, lot of uses for such pieces. Glad you are persevering.

Dan

Ken Hill
11-21-2011, 5:27 AM
Looks nice. Every "fat bottom" bowl ive ever made is usually the first one picked up and sold. Not sure why but they have an appeal to alot of folks!

One guy told me they hold more candy haha

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2011, 9:07 AM
Tough form to get right but you pulled it off! Pretty wood! Looking forward to seeing the other half of the branch once it is turned.