PDA

View Full Version : I believe I need a ..............

Richard Jones
11-19-2011, 10:26 PM
steady of some sort...............been putting off building one, guess that's the project for the A.M. tomorrow............

About the only real fun so far was applying the DO..........

Rich

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2011, 10:36 PM
They do make it a lot easier and a lot more steady.

Jim Burr
11-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Your are gonna need that verse in your sig if you want to hold this together! It's looking amazing...but a steady will let you go to sleep tonight with your face intact! Really looking forward to seeing this done!

Roger Chandler
11-19-2011, 10:41 PM
yup.......couldn't hurt! That piece is a gnarly one........you will have to find and area where the wheels don't interfere with the voids on that one...........

How tall is that one going to be? Nice work Rich!

David E Keller
11-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Looks like a gorgeous piece of cherry burl! I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished photos of that beauty!

Baxter Smith
11-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Great piece of wood. It is fun to put on the oil and see what happens!

John Keeton
11-20-2011, 7:31 AM
WOW!! I like that one, Richard! A steady would be a must for that piece IMO. Gonna be nice!!

Chip Sutherland
11-20-2011, 5:42 PM
Beautiful piece of wood. With all those voids, I would have recommended a glue block, too. With the steady rest, you can lessen the wheel bumps on the voids by wrapping the piece in wrapping plastic or blue tape...just be diligent to get any wrinkles out otherwise you will get vibration from those. The advantage of the plastic that it contains any flying debris lest it deconstructs.

Allan Ferguson
11-20-2011, 9:05 PM
One mean looking piece of wood. Good Luck with it.

Thomas Canfield
11-22-2011, 5:52 PM
Richard,

Seeing this piece and the voids, I would suggest making a collar that you could hot glue to the ourside for the wheels of your steady to run on. I did that for a piece that had sections missing and it both kept the piece round and provided the smooth surface for the wheels. You can make the inside hole of the collar tapered and somewhat force it into position before applying the hot glue and that will allow you to get the collar true. I would also recommend using a cone in your tailstock to keep the piece in alignment when you are installing the collar. My collar was about 15" OD with 12" ID made out of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood and a groove turned in the OD edge before using the thin parting tool to cut the ID hole at an angle. You have a nice piece working.