PDA

View Full Version : Making new blade inserts for G0623X

Matt Mackinnon
11-19-2011, 8:19 PM
As the major parts for the G0700 and G0623X are both the same, I verified with Grizzly about the using a Dado with my new saw. There is no section inside the G0623X about replacing the blade insert that is in the G0700 manual.

I am wondering if anyone has gone out and made zero clearance inserts for their saw? I am wondering about a few items. Seeing as you can raise and lower the scoring blade, did you just lower the blade and notch out the insert to allow for the blade to still be installed, or did you remove it as per the instructions with the G0700? with using a dado blade, you will not have the riving knife installed. But it's possible to make an insert for a regular blade to give full support on either side of the blade for cutting. How did you cut the opening for the riving knife?

I am still a few weeks off from getting my saw operational. I still need 240v power in my shop. I am just planning out what is needed so I can get working as quickly as possible when I get my power.

thanks

Matt.

ed vitanovec
11-19-2011, 10:11 PM
I have use a dado blade on mine many times, you can install a dado blade even though the instructions don't say you can. My scoring blade is lowered for the dado cuts, I did remove it once and it is not nessary...just lower the scoring blade. I am using the stock blade insert for both the standard blade and dado blade. I have some material I plan to use for new inserts and I think it would be farly easy to make, it would be roughly 3/4" x 14". The insert will be mostly on the right side of the blade, just raise the blade up through the insert to get a zero clearance cut.

Regards!
Ed

Matt Mackinnon
11-20-2011, 6:19 PM
making the zero insert part is not the problem.. my question is more about the riving knife part. if I cut through the back end of the insert, then the loose bit of wood to the left of the blade would be unsupported and a liability. So how would you extend the slot back from the blade opening to allow for the riving knife without cutting the back end of the insert, or would it make more sense to just glue back in a piece of wood?

Matt.

Ken Shoemaker
11-20-2011, 6:31 PM
Make a 1/8" strip and glue it the gap at the rear of the insert. I removed the spitter on my contractor saw and glued in a 6"X3"X 1/8" rectangle in the blade slot of a newly created wooden insert. Then I rose the blade up into it to hog out the rectangle making a wooden "spitter". Additionally, I flip it over, so the wooden splitter is facing down in the table, and I can use the same insert when I dont want the splitter (When using miter guage or sleds).

I'm not sure I made sense. Let me know if I missed the point.

Thx Ken

Mark Engel
11-22-2011, 7:21 PM
making the zero insert part is not the problem.. my question is more about the riving knife part. if I cut through the back end of the insert, then the loose bit of wood to the left of the blade would be unsupported and a liability. So how would you extend the slot back from the blade opening to allow for the riving knife without cutting the back end of the insert, or would it make more sense to just glue back in a piece of wood?

Matt.

I remove the riving knife when using a dado set. With the kife removed you don't have to cut the back end of the insert.

Brent Ring
05-01-2012, 5:28 PM
I do what Mark Engel does on mine. The frustrating part is that if you leave the riving knife in place, it sits higher that the stack and pushes the wood up at the end of the dado. That can mess dadoes, and tenons up.
Does anyone else have that problem with the G0623X?