PDA

View Full Version : It's nice having family in the business...

Paul Di Biasio
03-05-2005, 10:48 PM
It's nice having a brother with a $200,000 Komo CNC router!

Ever since we moved into our new house (5 yrs ago), I have been dying to replace the crap columns that the builder constructed in our foyer. Although I could have done them myself, it was so much easier sending a spec to my brother via email and then driving out to his shop to pick them up.

The columns are 8ft long and 8"x8". They are made of mdf and have 1 in flutes.

Tonight I glued them up, tomorrow I will put primer on them.

Thanks Peter...

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 9:17 AM
Paul,

That is for sure! Having a brother with a CNC would sure be great! Looks like the columns are going to look great!

Dan Mages
03-06-2005, 9:30 AM
Out of curiosity, I do not see any support in the open sides for your glue up. Are you affraid of the big boards sagging?

Dan

John Renzetti
03-06-2005, 12:03 PM
hi Paul, Those big cnc routers are amazing. It probably took a lot longer for him to convert the email into a file to feed to the computer of the machine than to actually cut and mill the parts.
Columns look good.
take care,
John

Jamie Buxton
03-06-2005, 1:08 PM
How capable is a big CNC? It did the fluting, but did it cut the lock miters too?

Jim Stastny
03-06-2005, 2:33 PM
What a blessing to have access to such resources. It also looks like you put those resources to GREAT work. The columns look fantastic.

Bill Lewis
03-06-2005, 4:08 PM
What a blessing to have access to such resources. It also looks like you put those resources to GREAT work. The columns look fantastic.Hey Jim, you're just up the raod from me! I'm in Laytonsville.
Did you notice, Paul is in Annandale, his brother can't be too far away.

BTW, I can do Cad files that would probably feed directly to the CNC, just depends on the format. I don't have any need at the moment, but sure is nice to have the resource "in the family" ;)

Paul Di Biasio
03-06-2005, 7:06 PM
Dan,
Its kinda hard to see but there are plywood squares holding up the pieces but they were only needed prior to glue up. I clamped the columns to the bench and the lock miters and the force on the ends keeps the columns from sagging.

When installed the columns will wrap around a stud wall.

Paul Di Biasio
03-06-2005, 7:16 PM
The CNC first did the flutes, then it ripped the columns. I wasn't expecting him to do the lock miters but I'm glad he did. I think one of his older shapers is permanently set up for it.

He has 2 Minimax T50 shapers. One raises panels and the other does the cope and stick. Interestingly, he uses the Jesada shaper tooling with replaceable carbide knives. The cope and stick is on one head. Very nice and a real time saver for a busy shop.

What I really like, more than the CNC, is his finishing room. I'm just not comfortable when I'm finishing at home. I have no dedicated space for finishing so I wind up using the garage. There I have to deal with the elements, fumes and dust.