PDA

View Full Version : EZ-Snart Guide & DW369CSK..caution

Al Lupone
03-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Purchased the Guide during the Hartville sale. Thought of mounting my lo-price Craftsman. Base was a non-standard size & the blade had to much runout & the stupid UN-safety interlock was always a pain. Decided to purchase the new Dewalt DW369CSK as it had a brake. All set to stick it on & then check the bevel 90* alignment. It was off. The alignment allen screw is accessed from the bottom of the shoe. Decided I would line the saw to the base & then drill a small acces hole for the allen screw. SG instructions say that the center of the saw blade must be 6 1/2" back from the front alignment rib. To get that measurement I had to slide the saw back until the base was flush with the rear of the SG base. Drilled my allen access hole, put the sticky tape down & permanently stuck the saw down.

Put the anti chip insert in & got the guide rail set on some ply.(By the way, the vinyl edge [EAC-1] you cut off is supposed to be a press fit in. It's not. They use masking tape to hold it in place) Since it's chilly out in the garage, they recommend running the saw backwards down the rail to prevent chipping it. Placed the saw at the right end to run it backwards. Up to now I had the guard taped back so I could align ecerything. Pulled the tape off & tried to plunge down. A little resitance & then somehow saw twisted & I chipped the last 5" of the vinyl off. Found out that with the saw placed to the rear of the base, the guard can't come down without hitting the base.

Unless someone can figure out how to unstick the tape I will have to cut about a 1" squre out to allow the guard free movement. I think this will be a good unit if I can get these bugs worked out. Maybe I'm a klutz or the Dewalt is NOT the right saw to use. Just giving a headsup.

Al

Paul Franklin
03-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Al
Sorry to hear of your issues, I think the Festool would have been the best choice!

Paul

Michael Ballent
03-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Al
Sorry to hear of your issues, I think the Festool would have been the best choice!

Paul
Oh boy... another Festool/Eureka debate.... :rolleyes:

Mike Holbrook
03-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Hi Al,

Have you given Dino a call? It says in the instructions that if you have any trouble with a specific saw to give them a call. I think they are usually able to work things out though I'm not sure we can expect that they can work with any saw out there.

Sure you could buy a Festol, but with the Festol you are buying an expensive saw that is designed to fit the guide :) Festol is a great system but I am thinking you could buy another new saw or two for less money.

Ez Smart works fine with my new Rigid or old Makita. If I had it to do over I would buy the Milwaukee CS, the Rigid tosses chips right in my face, very rude. The Depot is usually pretty good about taking things back. If you are glued to the CS base you might have to get a new base first.

Glenn Clabo
03-06-2005, 7:06 AM
I hope you didn't mean to start something with that comment Paul...there are many tools and many ways of doing things...and many reasons for the decisions people make. I really don't understand what is going on here with this Festool vs SG thing. Paul, you clearly made and enjoy your decision to go with Festool and I respect that. It's a great system that many people have and enjoy. So is the SG system. Just please try to understand that what you just said sounds like you are calling those of us who made a different decision, based on our own research and resources, were wrong.

Dino Makropoulos
03-06-2005, 9:06 AM
. Maybe I'm a klutz or the Dewalt is NOT the right saw to use. Just giving a headsup.

Al
Hi Al.
The tape on the white edge (EAC-1) is there just in case you hold the guide vertical and the edge can slide out. When you put the guide flat on the plywood, the weight of the guide rail applies pressure on the EAC-1 and the edge stays put.And not side movement. Even if you take the tape out the EAC-1 suppose to stay on the guide rail while moving the guide around.
In the near future you will see that you may need to slide off the white edge in order to slide other jigs on the same track.Is one of this things that you want the edge to stay there without glue and you want the edge to slide in and out ez. That small piece of tape may be is the answer.
If you need to use the guide rail for a straight edge or a big level or an edge router guide without buying the router kit, you want the white edge to be slide in and out EZ.
(on a side note) We spent 3 years talking to manufactures about making the new circular saws Ezier to adapt to the EZ Smart and we lost our time. Not only they don't try to make it EZ but "some" even go out of their way to make it harder. :mad: So, don't be surprise one day if you see a whole new EZ Smart circular saw. ;)
About the Dewalt saw. The 6-1/2 distance from the front alignment rib may not apply to the Dewalt saw. We're working on better instructions and more pictures for each saw individually. In your case I will do two things. one is to remove the section on the Smart base in order for the saw guard to work,or remove the smart base with goof-off and reinstall a new smart base that you can buy for... a thousand dollars. :rolleyes:
Or you can send me an email /call me and we send one out ASAP another base/tape and EAC-1.
The bottom line is that you're not a Klutz. (what is that) and your findings with your post is good for all of us.
Thanks.

Glenn Clabo
03-06-2005, 9:33 AM
The bottom line is that you're not a Klutz. (what is that) .
The one on the left...;)
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2003-08/28/xinsrc_0f69d944d95d11d7b21c000103134420_wac-stumbling-330.jpg

Dino Makropoulos
03-06-2005, 9:37 AM
So. I was right . :rolleyes:
Thanks Glenn. I will enjoy my coffee. :D
Nice!!!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 9:44 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I am using a very similar dewalt Circular saw and I do not have these issues. I am sure that if you get some pics to Dino, he will get you set up right!

Al Lupone
03-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Dino, Thanks for the quick reply. I'll call tomorrow. Didn't call yesterday as it was late Saturday. As far as the Festool, Please ,no Ford/Chevy debates. I was just posting info in reference to this particular guide/saw combo.

Dino, reason why I commented on the EAC-1 was that the instruction sheet say that it is a press fit & you need the spring paper clips every foot to compress the EAC if you need to slide it out & put a new one in. I have no problem with it. In fact if you're planning future uses for that track, I think it is a great idea.

Another note, with the saw all the way back, the blade just barely reaches the AC-2 insert. Haven't tried the AC-1 yet.
Since I had never seen an actual SG & the saw was new to me also, I wasn't aware of any potential conflicts.

When posting sometimes we don't realize how it sounds to others. I absolutely do not mean to be critical. By posting this I am just trying to make others aware of POTENTIAL problems. Different things to look for, such as access to the bevel alignment screw on the bottom of the shoe or checking clearance of the guard in all positions. I DO think this will be a great product in many years of use.:)

Al

Dino Makropoulos
03-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Dino, Thanks for the quick reply. I'll call tomorrow. Didn't call yesterday as it was late Saturday. As far as the Festool, Please ,no Ford/Chevy debates. I was just posting info in reference to this particular guide/saw combo.

Dino, reason why I commented on the EAC-1 was that the instruction sheet say that it is a press fit & you need the spring paper clips every foot to compress the EAC if you need to slide it out & put a new one in. I have no problem with it. In fact if you're planning future uses for that track, I think it is a great idea.

Another note, with the saw all the way back, the blade just barely reaches the AC-2 insert. Haven't tried the AC-1 yet.
Since I had never seen an actual SG & the saw was new to me also, I wasn't aware of any potential conflicts.

When posting sometimes we don't realize how it sounds to others. I absolutely do not mean to be critical. By posting this I am just trying to make others aware of POTENTIAL problems. Different things to look for, such as access to the bevel alignment screw on the bottom of the shoe or checking clearance of the guard in all positions. I DO think this will be a great product in many years of use.:)

Al

Al. I'm with you 101%
Instructions. we improove the EAC-1 and you don't need the paper clips.
You have the old set of instructions. (small overlap)
Move the saw all the way to the front aligment rib.
And your post can only help.
Is not EZ to have a universal guide system that the same time is so versatile while intruducing few new accesories and make sure that all future developments will work fine on all existing guide rails.
Any help and feedback like yours is welcome and very much needed.
Thanks again Al.
i'm waiting for your call.

Al Lupone
03-11-2005, 4:37 PM
Just wanted to post an update. Called Dino on Monday about noon. Dino is a straight shooter & a smart business man. He reminds me of the example that my old Italian grandfather set for our family. His word was his bond. Lawyers need not be called. Just my impression. I know this wasn't an expensive item, but the UPS man delivered a new base & EAC edge guide on Tuesday at 1:00 PM. Haven't been able to get out to the shop to use it yet, but will get to it this weekend.
Thanks Dino

Al Lupone