PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to install click-type flooring under / around door jambs?

Dan Friedrichs
11-19-2011, 2:19 PM
I'm replacing some old, worn laminate flooring with new laminate. I've done real hardwood flooring, before, and am familiar with how to undercut door jambs and casing and slide pieces of flooring under them - but how is this done with click-type laminate flooring? With real wood, it's easy to cut a tongue off here-or-there, or face nail as necessary, such that the pieces can be slid into the correct place. Are there any tricks to doing this with laminate?

Jeff Monson
11-19-2011, 8:02 PM
I use a sacrificial piece of laminate as a tapping block to seat the tounge and groove. Make the block from the opposing profile, this will protect the profile on the piece you are installing. The butt joints and long joints can be tapped into place without tilting them as required by many of the newer laminates. Works great on door jambs and for narrow strips that end up along a wall at times.

Dan Friedrichs
11-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Gotcha - that makes sense. I was still confused about how to deal with the piece that slips slightly under the door frame, but as I was drawing a picture to explain my question, I figured it out :) It's been a long day of painting - I think the fumes are getting to me :)

Kevin W Johnson
11-20-2011, 1:37 AM
A pull bar made for laminate flooring installation helps alot. Find'em at Lowes and HD.