PDA

View Full Version : Can I sand Pampered Chef Stoneware?

Rich Engelhardt
11-19-2011, 1:51 PM
My wife burned something on her round ('bout 18" across) Pampered Chef stone.
I looked at it and was wondering If I could take a sander to it w/some 220 or finer wet dry?

I haven't tried scrubbing it with salt yet, which I read somewhere is what's recommended.

Bruce Volden
11-19-2011, 1:58 PM
We have some PC Stoneware we use FREQUENTLY. It too has areas which appear to have burned areas. We just use salt, it doesn't totally remove the "stain" but the stain does NOT impart a flavor to other items we cook. We use them often on the wood burning stove to make potato wedges and nothing compares to the way stoneware cooks them! We've had ours now for better than 5 years---it does not look like new anymore---but it still cooks like new. ;)

Bruce

Jim Koepke
11-19-2011, 2:02 PM
Any idea as to what kind of stone this may be?

OK, I just took a quick look at their web site. It appears that it is a man made stoneware.

I would be careful with any abrasives. It also depends on how badly burned we are talking about.

If the material has become fused to the surface, you may just have to get used to it.

There are a couple of links to cleaning included in the search results.

It all comes down to how much is burnt on and does it really detract that much.

jtk

Greg Portland
11-21-2011, 3:29 PM
My wife burned something on her round ('bout 18" across) Pampered Chef stone.
I looked at it and was wondering If I could take a sander to it w/some 220 or finer wet dry?

I haven't tried scrubbing it with salt yet, which I read somewhere is what's recommended.Do NOT sand the stone. Stick it in a hot oven (>500°) for an hour or so... that will turn all the crud to dust. Any remaining stain is fine... the stone will eventually turn dark brown/black with use.

Rich Engelhardt
11-21-2011, 5:57 PM
Greg,
That was going to be my next thing to try.
Thanks for the info!

I read online that they fire these thing @ 2100*F.

Can I use a propane torch on the burned areas or will that heat it too unevenly and crack it?

Matt Meiser
11-23-2011, 8:10 AM
I cracked one of my wife's when I turned on the broiler so I definitely wouldn't take a torch to it. It seems that the sudden direct heat was the issue.
I'd just scrape the burned on stuff off, bake it a while and use it.

One of our stones is almost completely black from my brother making pizza on it with parchment paper and the oven turned up as high as it goes (on bake.) My wife seems to think that's a desirable "finish" on a stone--she said people talked about how to get it when sold the stuff 12 years ago (sheesh I was going to say 10 because she was selling it when I met her, but we are getting old!)

Rich Engelhardt
11-23-2011, 8:40 AM
Thanks Matt.
I'll forget about the torch idea.
I tried the oven @ 500 for an hour & there's still a small "mountan range" on one part of the stone.

My wife used the stone last night for some cookies & she gave me the "quit fooling around w/my stuff" look - so - I'm leaving it the way it is.