PDA

View Full Version : new board no network

Phyllis Rhodes
11-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Just replaced the mother board. Works fine with USB cable. However, it is not seen on the network. Using the same IP adddress as before. IP is correct in the laser. Won't ping. When I go to my router web page, the laser doesn't show up as being connected. Every other device connected to the network shows up. We tested them one by one. Then turned off/on the laser and it never showed up. It's like the signal is not leaving the laser at all.

Please tell me there's something really simple/stupid that i haven't done/tried.

Epilog 45w
5 yrs old
hard wired to network
Sony Vaio wireless

I also just installed the latest driver. Still won't ping. Haven't updated the firmware yet.

It's been running perfectly for 5 years. This is the first part I've had to replace.

Thanks
Phyllis

Lee DeRaud
11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Do you have MAC address filtering enabled in your router? The new board will have a different MAC address even if you set the IP address same as the old one...
I'd also try setting it to a different IP address and rebooting everything (laser, router, computer) in case the MAC-IP mapping (I forget what it's called) is cached somewhere and the new MAC address is confusing it. (I.e. the old IP is still being routed to the old nonexistent MAC address.)

Phyllis Rhodes
11-19-2011, 1:32 PM
you know, i thought about that, but then couldn't figure out where we would hvae gotten it in the first place. i guess when it automatically connects to the network, the mac address is seen. so... should i delete the printers before reboot? change the IP on the laser before rebooting?

Lee DeRaud
11-19-2011, 1:58 PM
change the IP on the laser before rebooting?That's what I'd try. Once you get the router to see the laser at the Ethernet level, setting up a "new" printer should be trivial, since the drivers etc are already loaded. Delete the old one if necessary after the dust settles.

One other thing: most network interfaces have some sort of indicator LED that shows Ethernet activity regardless of whether the activity involves that device or not. Is there any such thing on the laser, probably right next to the Ethernet cable socket? (I'm assuming that socket is on the new motherboard itself: if not, whatever internal cable connects them deserves a good hard look.)

Phyllis Rhodes
11-19-2011, 2:04 PM
changed iP address on laser. turned off. turned on. released and renewed the connection on the router. laser still doesn't show up. and i have no idea about a light on the laser. randy (engraving concepts--greatest guy/company around) said there is a light on the mother board, but i don't know where it is. i do see a light on the mother board that is flickering on and off, but i don't know what it's for.

hmm.. think i'll go find another network cable and see what happens.

--------------------------

well, that didn't do any good either.

Bruce Volden
11-19-2011, 2:06 PM
Phyllis,

Don't know about the Helix but on my TT after an IP change I have to save it after I exit the menu. Just a thought--don't you dare ask me how I know this!!

Bruce

Phyllis Rhodes
11-19-2011, 2:25 PM
on the epilog, you have to save the IP address (or cancel) in order to get out of the menu. husband is looking on card to see if he can find a mac address by chance.

James Aldrich
11-20-2011, 5:10 PM
Phyllis,
Have you tried going straight to the laser from the computer ethernet card with the cable, bypassing the router? I have had devices connected to a router that would not show up on the network until I first connected them straight to the computer. Also I beleive the laser uses cross over ethernet cable.

Jim

Craig Matheny
11-20-2011, 5:53 PM
I know this is basic but have you swapped out ethernet cables with a machine you know works things happen to those cables all by the self.

Phyllis Rhodes
11-20-2011, 8:46 PM
yep plugged same cable into my laptop. works just fine. the only thing that changed was the mother board. i've never plugged a network cable from the laser to my computer. but it won't hurt to try i suppose. very frustrating.. i hate being connected with wires!!!