PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Rich inspired bowls

Hayes Rutherford
11-19-2011, 12:11 AM
A couple of weeks ago the multi talented Michelle Rich posted a home made inlay bowl and I was thinking that might be something I could do to spice up the plain birch roughed out bowls that I have plenty of. In stead of using a router, I trued up the rim on bowl #1 (10-1/2"), then turned a ring that would become the inlay, parted it off, then turned a recess to fit the ring. Once it fit, I randomly cut it up, painted the pieces red or black, then glued them into the recess. So you might say I inlaid the rim with itself. I may try this method again, and do a better job: shaping the inlay ring, and do a better job dying, and gluing in the pieces, etc.

On the second birch bowl(13-1/2") I didn't bother to inlay it, I simply turned a large bead, burned lines across it and painted the sections either red or black. This was much faster and I hope to do a little more of this in the future as well. Thanks to Michelle for the inspiration (these pieces aren't nearly as artistic, but I'm trying)
C&C always welcome.

Joe Watson
11-19-2011, 1:13 AM
Looks good - the inlay on the first one is pretty cool; with the rounded edges and slightly raised it looks like a stone inlay.

Dan Forman
11-19-2011, 3:32 AM
Pretty cool. If you put some yellow ones in there, you could do a coral snake pattern - maybe a little carving of a head biting the tail to make it a hoopsnake. :D
Dan

John Keeton
11-19-2011, 7:18 AM
Hayes, that is some interesting work! When Michelle posted hers, I was thinking of all the possibilities, including the imbedding of pieces in a colored epoxy. One could re-turn the piece and then dye each piece. The inlay pieces would need to be sealed prior to being placed in the epoxy to avoid bleeding of the color from the epoxy. Just a thought for the next one!!

Baxter Smith
11-19-2011, 9:45 AM
That is some neat work Hayes. I have a lot of 8/4 yellow birch that I thought I might someday try some pyro on. I guess there are other possibilities too! Thanks for posting!

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2011, 9:51 AM
Well that's different! Pretty cool effect! Looking forward to seeing where this leads! Have fun with it!

Michelle Rich
11-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Well slap me upside the head!!! Lookee here. what a cool bowl, Hayes. Your method to get your pieces is pretty cool & quite clever. My hats off to you!!! I suppose one could cut pieces like segmenters do..with angles & fit them too, but this is so much easier & more clever! I'm lookin' over my shoulder now!! Good job!

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2011, 10:29 AM
That is a pretty cool Hayes. Really sets that bowl off. Can't wait to see the next one.

charlie knighton
11-19-2011, 10:33 AM
nice work Hayes, looking forward to your next inspiration