PDA

View Full Version : Heian straight line rip

keith waldo
11-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Does anyone have any experiance with a Heian straight line rip saw from Japan? I am looking at an RS 300 to buy and restore. Keith

J.R. Rutter
11-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I have not seen one in person, but I think that they are very similar in design to the current crop of Taiwanese rips saws. If the price is right and the chain and guides are not worn out, then it should be a fine saw. One reason NOT to do it is that the newer saws have multiple rows of anti kick-back fingers above and in the table ahead of the blade. My Extrema has 3 rows, and I have still seen slivers ejected. We left part of the last one sticking out of the roll up door panel as a reminder not to stand in front of the infeed...

Jim Matthews
11-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Motor, mechanism or chassis repairs?

keith waldo
11-19-2011, 7:16 PM
Every thing seems to be there but it has been left outside for some time. So needs cleaned and painted. The motors are good the chain is good and as far as I can see it is a good machine. The thing I like is it was made in Japan not China and it is really small compared to a lot of the others. Heian is famous for their routers and cnc machines.But I was looking for someone who actually has one and uses it.Keith

Myk Rian
11-19-2011, 7:41 PM
I guess the big Q is, are parts available?

keith waldo
11-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Mike
I have no idea if parts are available and other than the chain I think everything else is bearings . And not being able to get parts has never stopped me from diving in. This machine is very heavy cast iron and all the things that need to be there are there. If a shaft is bad or something else I may have to make it. It is not much outlay of money so I think I am buying it just for the experiance of rebuilding one. Keith