PDA

View Full Version : Doing my first demo, tomorrow

Scott Hackler
11-18-2011, 10:12 PM
....at my local club meeting. I was asked to start demoing and asked to start with the candle holder project I wrote up in Woodturning Design magazine. It ought to be fun. I would much rather be at the lathe than watching!Wish me luck!

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Scott - sounds like fun!! Relax, be yourself and everything will be just fine!

Pete Jordan
11-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Good luck Buddy!

I am sure you will do fine.

Bill Bulloch
11-18-2011, 10:32 PM
I'll wish you luck, and bet you'll enjoy it once you get started. Let me share an observation with you: I have never watched a demo where the demonstrater moved the tool rest with the lathe running without him saying, "You don't move the tool rest without turning off the lathe" or something to that effect. Now I bet that was funny the first thousand times it was said, but now it sounds real stupid. Hope you don't say that.

Let us know how it went.

Joe Watson
11-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Wish me luck!Theres no need.
Your work speaks for itself - which says alot for the person behind the tool.

Kathy Marshall
11-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Like Steve said, relax and be yourself! Good luck and have fun!

Reed Gray
11-18-2011, 11:34 PM
If you are worried about forgetting a part that you want to cover, some one will be sure to ask that question. Never fails.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2011, 11:48 PM
If you are worried about forgetting a part that you want to cover, some one will be sure to ask that question. Never fails.

robo hippy

Too true!!

Scott Hackler
11-19-2011, 12:05 AM
All packed up and ready to go for tomorrow. Sure hope I didn't forget something I will need (I am pretty sure I have it all). :)

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Scott - have someone take some photos so you can share the event with us later!! Have fun!

Hayes Rutherford
11-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Have a great demo. Way better than watching.

Rick Markham
11-19-2011, 1:38 AM
You will do great Scott! I second the fact that your work speaks for itself. Just remember not to lock your knees

Robert McGowen
11-19-2011, 1:41 AM
Good luck, Scott! Show 'em how its done.

Dan Forman
11-19-2011, 3:26 AM
About this luck business, Thomas Jefferson once said "I'm a firm believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

So go and have a great demo, I'm sure no luck is needed.

Dan

John Keeton
11-19-2011, 7:23 AM
Congrats, Scott!! The one aspect to giving a demo that seems nearly as important, if not more so, is talking constantly through the demo - more difficult than it sounds! Be sure to "non-stop" tell the folks what you are doing, why, with which tool, and why it is sharpened/shaped the way it is, how you developed that technique, and why other ways may not work. I think folks are interested in technique as much as what you are actually turning.

You have good skills - this will be a breeze for you! You will do great.

Robert Henrickson
11-19-2011, 9:18 AM
Best wishes. Speaking from experience, you'll find the time for a club demo is shorter than you think. Don't try to do too much -- make sure you demo/discuss the important points. Details may be nice, but getting the whole sweep of the process is crucial.

David E Keller
11-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Sounds like fun! Break a leg... Wait a minute, that sounds bad coming from me! I'll just go with 'Good luck'!

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Congrats Scott. You will do fine. Just be yourself and the rest will take care of itself.

charlie knighton
11-19-2011, 10:37 AM
good luck, ...... er....find out the spindle size of lathe you will be turning on, enjoy

Jim Burr
11-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Here is the plan...8 big cups of coffee...14 super big glasses of water. Forget thinking about everyone in their underwear...they'll be wondering why your legs are crossed...that should keep the willies away!

Betty Fox
11-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Good luck!!! Remember to take a bottle of water and don't sand too much. I hate being in the audience when sanding is done. Makes me cough. I'm usually the one in the audience who asks questions. HF!!!!

Allan Ferguson
11-19-2011, 2:31 PM
It will be fun. Go to it.

Scott Hackler
11-19-2011, 3:52 PM
Whew! 1st demo is "in the bag"! All went surprisingly well and I remembered to remind the audience about the methods, tools and reasoning behind everything I did. I had several guys compliment my demo afterwards and I reached out to the two fellas that normally do the demos (no one else seemed to be that interested in doing them) and both said I did a good job. So mission accomplished.

It was fun and I will definitely demo anytime someone asks and my schedule permits. One of the club members took a bunch of pictures and he is suppose to email them to me, so I will post those after I get them.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Robert McGowen
11-19-2011, 4:02 PM
Never a doubt. Sounds like you did a great job!

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-19-2011, 4:22 PM
No one on this site would ever have any doubts concerning your skill and ability to demonstrate them. Congratulations, I am sure this will be the first of many.
faust

Richard Galloway
11-19-2011, 7:07 PM
After just doing my 1st demo on Thursday in front of 4 different classes of high school kids, it's not nearly as stressful as I thought it would be. I'm sure you did just fine!

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Congrats on getting your first demo out of the way! Not that big of a deal after all, right? I have only done a few but have always enjoyed it because I am just talking to a bunch of friends about something I love to do... turning!

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Jack Mincey
11-20-2011, 7:47 AM
Scott,
Glade your first demo went well. It's always a great feeling when you are able to share your knowledge in the turning world to help others improve their skills. I've been fortunate to be able to share what little I know about turning and woodworking with my High School Students over the years and in recent years with a number of local turning clubs. In my career as a shop teacher Demo's have always been my best instructional tool.
Congratulations,
Jack

Nate Davey
11-20-2011, 8:20 AM
Congrats on a job well done. I did my first demo at our club meeting at the beginning of the month. I go into it with the attitude "When one teaches, two learn." Not a big surprise you were a huge success.

Tony Wheeler
11-20-2011, 10:01 AM
as being one that watched Scott I can tell you first harn that he did a great job with the execption that he talked so much instead of turning I had to rent our meeting site for an extra 2 hours. Just kidding. But I think you learned the same as me brind your own live center and did you find your lid to your CA? all kidding aside you did a great job and I when home and made one of your candlesticks and will have to make more to bring back to next meeting as my doughter has already taken ithe first one.

Rich Aldrich
11-20-2011, 8:10 PM
Scott - Congrats. I made a four of those candle holders. They are nice little project and learned a few things.

Scott Hackler
11-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Here are the pictures that were sent to me of my first demo. I thought there would be more of them, but this is what was sent to me.

Sure was weird turning on the small lathe, but it worked out ok.

Hayes Rutherford
11-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Looks like you were having fun and you like doing demos!