PDA

View Full Version : Rings and Pendants

Paul Williams
11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Still on light duty and turning small things. Had a request for these rings, size 8 1/2 and 12. They were fun to turn, but getting the inlace and the wop to stick to the oily rosewood was trouble. On the small ring I ended up putting the inlace in the bottom of a small cup and gluing it to the ring discs after it set up.

The lighter pendant is a scrap of bamboo flooring. Interesting stuff. Mostly glue. Smells bad when turning but polishes up nicely and doesn't really need a finish if you polish it. I still have a little work to do on the finish of the darker pendant So far just a few coats of wop. I have lots of blanks for pendants from the centers of all of the bangels that I turned last week.

The slice of tree trunk is for our 5 yr old grandson to take to show and tell to show how the rings tell the age of a tree.

I am pretty well back to normal as far as lifting goes so I am going to return to turning bowls next week. A friend came over to cut firewood for me and left some nice apple and elm blanks. Plus I have a root ball from a tree my son took out at his new house.

Joe Watson
11-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Looks pretty neat, i like the off-center stuff.

Dennis Ford
11-19-2011, 8:10 AM
Those look nice. Be careful with your heath and don't push yourself to lift too much.

John Keeton
11-19-2011, 8:26 AM
Paul, don't push yourself!! Healing takes a little longer than one might suspect, and sometimes the medications (even over the counter) can make one feel able to do more than they should.

Those rings are striking - and well worth the extra effort you put into them. The pendants are neat, too. Glad to see you back at it.

Paul Williams
11-19-2011, 8:53 AM
Thankyou for your concern and kind words about the pieces. I am taking it easy and able to do a little more each day. I'm aiming for the long haul so not rushing into anything. Small bowls are next. Might try a Christmas ornament.

Baxter Smith
11-19-2011, 9:26 AM
Glad you can do a little but take care of yourself. Nice work on all but those rings are a standout!

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2011, 9:47 AM
Paul - everything looks great! Really like the contrast with the inlace! Your customers will love them!

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Really nice pieces Paul. Inlace really sets off the rings.