PDA

View Full Version : Another small candy dish

John Spitters
11-18-2011, 9:29 PM
This piece was turned first ... before I did the other however after turning the piece it warped quite a bit, this was from kiln dried wood but I turned it quite thin. Disgusted I set it aside and started work on the other.

After a day or two I realized that if I made the base into three feet it would now sit flat on the table and no one would be the wiser.

Quilted Maple dyed black then carmine red with several coats of wipe on poly I still need to sand back the finish, apply a few more coats then buff !
8 1/4" x 1 1/4"

Nate Davey
11-18-2011, 9:33 PM
Very nice save with the feet. Beautiful job on the dyeing.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Beautiful wood! Isn't it amazing how just a touch of color can add depth to the curl? Quite the showpiece!

Joe Watson
11-18-2011, 10:26 PM
That turned out great - with the die it looks like a molten firey abis.

Ted Calver
11-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Nicely done John. The color is great and the feet look natural.

Ryan Baker
11-18-2011, 11:05 PM
That's quite striking. Nice job.

Kathy Marshall
11-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Looks great and I like the feet!

John Keeton
11-19-2011, 7:45 AM
John, I truly think quilted maple was put here for us to use for dyed turning projects!! It is such great stuff to use. You sure used it to your advantage on this piece - very nice.

Baxter Smith
11-19-2011, 9:41 AM
Great looking piece John! The wood on the bottom is beautiful and I don't know if I would have had the courage to change it with dye. Glad you did though because the top is striking!

charlie knighton
11-19-2011, 11:04 AM
John, that is a great piece, the dye is quite striking, and the feet must have been an inspiration, nicely done

Jim Burr
11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow!!! That is only for very special, select M&M's!!! No red ones though...they'd get lost in the molten lava that the inside resembles!!

Chris Colman
11-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Absolutely beautiful!

I have never done feet on a project, so this might sound newbie or dumb, but how do you get the feet to look so good. I figure you turn a ring. But how do you separate the feet so nicely? Do you do that by hand with chisels, or somehow on the lathe?

John Spitters
11-19-2011, 2:37 PM
Thanks for all the "kind" comments on this one. I really don't consider this to be one of my better pieces, if I did I should have finished the finishing before posting :).
As for the feet, this was a first for me. I put the piece back on the lathe, centered it as best I could then used the indexing to divide it equally. Marked out the feet with a pencil, took it off the lathe made cuts with a dovetail saw then carved and sanded away every bit of the original foot but leaving the bits for the three feet.

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2011, 6:52 PM
That is a beauty. The color just makes it stand out. Really nice wood.