PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pore Filler-Finishing?

Brad Olson
03-05-2005, 6:51 PM
I am getting ready to finish a jatoba table top and have a question about pore fillers.

What is your favorite one?

I saw that woodcraft sells Behlen Pore-O-Pac for about $20, which seems a tad expensive for a pore filler. They also sell a cheaper one, but before I buy, I'd like to hear what other people are using.

I am open to about any brand if someone has had good experience with a certain brand.

My finish schedule for the table top will be BLO, a spit coat of shellac, pore filler and then Brad's oil mix (1/3 poly, 1/3 BLO, 1/3 naptha)

Doug Shepard
03-05-2005, 7:00 PM
Somebody here should know the definitive answer to this, but I think you want a grain filler that doesn't use the same solvent as the finish you're putting over it so that it doesn't dissolve the filler. If I'm right, you might want a water-based filler.

lou sansone
03-05-2005, 7:01 PM
I like either por-o-pac or star brand grain filler.. One can will usually last a long time

David LaRue
03-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I use Behlen Pore-O-Pac, and it lasts a long time. I have not used anyone elses. Have no need to change from something that works! :)

jerry mayfield
03-06-2005, 11:34 AM
If you use oil based grain filler (usually takes two applications for me) when you are through light sanding ,apply another barrier coat of shellack. I would use an alkd or phenolic resin varnish rather than a polyuretane varnish. Just my experience.

Good Luck
Jerry