PDA

View Full Version : 80 years old and still buying tools

Steve Ash
03-05-2005, 5:19 PM
I went over to my dad's shop early this morning to get my bandsaw (Jet 12" open stand)that he wanted to borrow for a bit. About 2:00 I went back over for a visit and in the back of his truck was a brand new in the box Delta BS100 bandsaw. As I was helping him put it together I couldn't help chuckling to myself thinking "Dad is almost 80 and still buying tools".

Randy Moore
03-05-2005, 5:26 PM
Steve,
He wanted to use a BS, he borrowed yours, you went over and got yours, he WASN'T done so he went and got his own.:cool: Now I suppose you will want to borrow his. LOL

Hope your Dad enjoys his. If you can take some pics of him and the BS. I bet that smile of his is a mile wide.

Randy:cool: :)

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2005, 5:31 PM
That is very cool Steve! Hope he enjoys it!

Corey

RichMagnone
03-05-2005, 5:36 PM
My wife's grandfather decided to "scale down" and they sold their home/farm of many many years in the country and moved to a ranch home in the city. This was about 2 years before I discovered woodworking myself. He sold his entire shop at an auction (that would be better described as a garage sale... there were many happy tool buyers that day) for a pittance of what they were worth.

Five years later and his truck sits on his driveway and the garage has been refilled with table saw, ROS, CMS, BS, the works... He just couldn't give it up... God bless!

Byron Trantham
03-05-2005, 5:58 PM
Your story heartens this 60 year old.. Lots to look forward to. :D

Frank Pellow
03-05-2005, 6:25 PM
Good for your dad! :) I hope that, when I am 80, I will follow his example.

Bill Arnold
03-05-2005, 6:36 PM
I should hope to live to be 80 -- by then I might be able to justify what I've spent on tools in the past few years. :D :confused: :D :confused: :D

(well, I'm ONLY 60 now.....) :rolleyes:

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-05-2005, 9:06 PM
Of Course I am only 85 and this past July had my estate auction where all my tools and some of the most beautiful Claro black walnut you ever saw went for peanuts. My house hasn't sold yet ,I can't stand doing nothing, I don't watch TV, and I find that I need things to feed my new Jet mini habit. Thinking about an electric chainsaw with converter for my car and then I probably won't be able to get by without a band saw. How do I turn this off?

Dan Mages
03-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Young at heart rarely has anything to with young at age. As long as he can safely use it, I wish him the best of luck!

Dan

Don Selke
03-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Hey Steve:
That is really teriffic, I bet you are really proud of Him. I love to see guys your Dad's age still enjoying woodworking and life as he is. I am 65 and still buying tools and gadgets from the woodworking stores and on line. My shop is my haven and do not know what I would do with out it. I hate television except for a few programs, no sports nut neither. The news is not news any more, just garbage. Oh well, I will get off my soap box or milk crate.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 9:19 AM
I think that it is a bug that we will all have for life! At that rate I will be buying tools for 60 years! I am happy to hear that your dad still loves woodworking, it is a great hobby! It is great he can still do it.

John Renzetti
03-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi Steve, That's a great story about your dad. I hope when I'm 80 (58 now) I'll be doing the same thing. Years ago when I bought my first jointer it was a 45yr old Delta Milwaukee that was owned by a then 73yr old retired dentist. He was getting a 3000lb cast iron 16" jointer made in Germany. I asked him why he was getting such a huge machine. He said "I'm 73 yrs old and I've always wanted one of these things." Worked for me.
take care,
John

Jerry Olexa
03-06-2005, 2:04 PM
Don't tell LOML. Seriously, happy for your Dad! He enjoys life!