PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, stupid, stoooooopid

Bill Bolen
11-18-2011, 11:38 AM
When you do something dumb bad things usually happen. This 11” Walnut hf was just about done. I wanted to square up the opening a bit as there had been some wood movement and the mouth had distorted just a bit. A nana second before the EWT mini-bit touched the mouth the thought flashed across my mind saying, “Stop, bring up the tailstock for some support and cut in from the side”. Didn’t stop myself in time! BAM, one side was gone. I’d left the upper a bit thick because I wanted to add some carving. Guess I can practice the carving now although on a bit smaller area.

Robert McGowen
11-18-2011, 11:49 AM
It could be worse!

Well, okay, I don't really see how it could be worse, but I am just trying to make you feel better.......

Jeff Fagen
11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Auh,clean up the opening,put a handle on the back side,a few dried flowers.Presto a weed pot.:)

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Bill,
It may not work for you but I keep telling myself, "It's only wood". Believe me, I have to tell myself often.
faust

Dick Wilson
11-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Hmmmm. I know I posted earlier on this thread and it is gone? Anyway Bill, glad you were not injured. It happens to everyone....a life lesson and a design opportunity.

Dennis Ford
11-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I know your pain, have felt it myself. That was a very nice HF you had going. Jeff is going in the right direction, you may be able to make something from the remains. When I have done things like this; the design opportunity only worked out after I was able to let go of the expectations for the original design. When I attempted repairs, I was unhappy with the results. Letting go of the original design has led to a few good pieces (and several pieces up in smoke).

Vernon Oberle
11-18-2011, 1:23 PM
When I accidently cut(broke) a swath down the side I cleaned it up and carved a raised area down each side. My wife named it the butt crack bowl. It's pround home is holding flowers in the bathroom.

Vernon

Bill Wyko
11-18-2011, 1:30 PM
Cut the top off & do a segmented top. That's too nice a piece to scrap.

Richard Jones
11-18-2011, 2:07 PM
Flowers can fix a lot of things.......

My first thought was to clean up the sides, blacken the interior, and install an elevated Nativity scene....(think mini-amphitheater).....

One thing about it, next time you want to do something dumb, you will remember this...........at least for a week or so..........:D

Rich

Dan Forman
11-18-2011, 2:27 PM
That's a bummer, amazing how fast bad things can happen. On the other hand, be glad that shard isn't sticking out of some body part.

Dan

Bill Embrey
11-18-2011, 2:28 PM
This Bill is going to agree with the "Wyko" Bill and suggest cutting off the top... it's a beautiful piece of walnut and the form is still pleasing as a bowl...

Derek Gilmer
11-18-2011, 2:30 PM
I feel your pain. I was just finishing up a little bowl and cutting the tenon off. I slipped and tore a cute little hole through the bottom of the bowl. I figured I'd find a little lace doilie and put over it for decoration :)

Mike Campbell KS
11-18-2011, 7:57 PM
I did this 3 times this week. I decided to take a few days away from the lathe. I made a 11" funnel, turned a 9" bowl into a plate, and decided a small hollow form would have to live with a good sized crack down the side.

Scott Hackler
11-18-2011, 8:06 PM
That "one last cut on the rim" has exploded many of my first projects. I feel your pain. Good new is that there's always more wood for another piece.

John M. Smith
11-18-2011, 8:41 PM
I've done this many times. Just one last cut. it will always get you.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2011, 9:22 PM
Bummer Bill. I have to say I have seen a few of those in my turnings. Generally it comes from one final cut to straighten something out.

Ryan Baker
11-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I think that all of us have been in your shoes. It's usually when you are tired and want to get done, and you rush something or take that "one last pass", and it's all over before you realize what happened. Your brain says "that is a bad idea", but your hands aren't listening. As Bill Grumbine says, bad words will be said. Sometimes that gives you the opportunity and challenge to find a way to modify or salvage your project. Sometimes it feeds the burn pile and chalks up to practice so that the next one will be even better.

Wally Dickerman
11-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey, that's a keeper!!! Put it on a shelf in your shop as a reminder that woodturning is a learning experience.

mike holden
11-19-2011, 4:11 PM
Sorry for your loss, But there is a saying in our turning club: "never take the last cut"
Mike

Mike Cruz
11-19-2011, 8:56 PM
It has been said many times that things like this are merely design opportunities, but maybe you could make that happen with this piece. BTW, I really do feel for you because this was a really pretty piece. Anyway, if you cut it off at the jagged edge break, could you then create a lid with maybe a finial or something? Would be a shame to chuck it.

Discloser, sorry, I didn't read the responses, so I have no idea if this has been touched on already...:o