PDA

View Full Version : EZ-Smart picked -- but what saw/router??

Michael Cody
03-05-2005, 5:07 PM
Been reading all this stuff and I have eval'd the messages and reviews on EZ-Smart vs Festool...

I gotta think the Festool might be a touch better .. in particular DC but not 500$ or more better.... plus my ShopVac is almost brand new anyway.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Ez-Smart Freedom package but here's the rub ... I've got a left hand Porter Cable 734 saw.. it don't work with the EZ-Smart..

Now I don't think we need the religious zealot fights of EZ-Smart vs Festool... I've got that one covered & Ez-Smart is the one I picked.... so now what saw..

I like my PC 734 -- in particular the massive base and the tube DC connection. I would think a wormdrive would be a great saw for this setup -- but again I don't know of a right hand one does anyone? Should I go with the PC347 right hander?? Or maybe back to a good 'ole standby like Milwaukee or Makita.

You guys w/EZ-Smarts .. do you have a preference. How 'bout the new PC 324Mag lightweight unit anyone got one.... that is sorta where I am leaning but since I got all you guys and gals around why not ask. Plus we always need something to talk about right???

Also should I buy dedicated a router for the router base, just leave it setup? I've not got a spare, but maybe I will buy one of the new PC 890's for 99$ @ the Borg or how 'bout putting a new Rigid mini-router on it ?? A DW621 would be good to but I am thinking non-plunge would be better and it would be dedicated so I don't need a multi-base kit either. I plan on using it to cut dados, rabbets, roundovers, etc.. will a mini router/trimmer handle that?

Wadda ya'all think....

Jim Becker
03-05-2005, 5:14 PM
If you like the feel of the PC right-hand saw, than it's probably a good choice, but if you can find a store with all your choices, touch them, pick them up, wrap your hands around them, etc. One of the newer machines with a dust port would be a nice idea if you can do it!

Same with the router. From what I could see from some pics posted in another thread relative to the EZ Smart system, it appears that you can use the router without removing the EZ base, but you can always just ask Dino when you call and order. Whatever router you choose, a 12 amp EVS machine is what you want so you have the power to do real cutting all day long.

Dino Makropoulos
03-05-2005, 7:15 PM
Now I don't think we need the religious zealot fights of EZ-Smart vs Festool...

Wadda ya'all think....

Mike. Next week you will see the Festool router and circular saw on the EZ Smart. Today I have a choice to use any router and the one that felt better in my hands was the Festool. I hope the pictures in our website can put a brake or even stop the E vs F. :eek:
On another hand, with all the work that you do for the FPP I don't think you should have to buy a system. Keep the FPP running and the freedom package is on the way. (just email the shipping info) ;)
About router and circular saw. You can't have my Festool's but you can have
a brand new D-handle Bosch.(minus the handle) and a brand new Ryobi with the smart base installed. :cool:

Mike Holbrook
03-06-2005, 12:37 AM
That Dino, he's so hard to work with :)

The Milwaukee CS won the last test or two I have seen on CS's. I bought a Ridgid and it works fine on the EZ but I would not buy the Ridgid again it tosses chips right in your face. I wish the reviews had come out sooner they are right on regarding the Ridgid.

Michael Cody
03-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Dino -- what an offer:), but you have me confused with an FPP bigwig. I post the logo around on my sig's here & other boards to help bring in support where I can. But I am just another turner sending some pens ... The big guns Keith, Jackie, Ken, Arron and others are the lead dogs, I am just in the pack following them.

I sent you a PM on that and suffice to say your support of FPP is amazing ... I will be well served and honored in supporting your business with a normal purchase. I feel I know value when I see it and your product has value stamped all over it. I also have 3 friends & couple of fellow Boy Scout dads who are remodeling contractors. They want to look this over when I get it setup.. hopefully I can sell a few more of these for you ... I firmly believe you reap what you sow and I hope I can help you reap the returns your deeds deserve.

On the issue of the Festool, I see merit in the Festool system, but the dust collection is it's biggest advantage and if you can fit it to your system, that is covered. (since you don't make circular saws, that is a great idea btw). I also got to handle a Festool router, a sweet machine but at the moment out of my price range.

We will have to see if we get any more feedback on the saw choice, I am still leaning toward the new PC 324Mag saw ...

Bill Neely
03-06-2005, 1:39 AM
I sold my 743 and bought the new 325Mag to use with the EZSmart.

Dino Makropoulos
03-06-2005, 9:24 AM
I do what Jim post before.
Is nothing like holding the saw in your hand.

from Jim.
'''If you like the feel of the PC right-hand saw, than it's probably a good choice, but if you can find a store with all your choices, touch them, pick them up, wrap your hands around them, etc. One of the newer machines with a dust port would be a nice idea if you can do it!'''

"But I am just another turner sending some pens ... '
Mike. Is up to you. Your work is more important from
...The big guns Keith, Jackie, Ken, Arron and others are the lead dogs, I am just in the pack following them.
-Me too. And if the Chiefs need a Freedom package who can say no to them?
see you Mike and thanks again.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 9:27 AM
Dino, shows his great nature again!

Anyway, I would think about any router would work with the EZ system. I only have one router in the shop. I have to move it between the table and the EZ base. It isn't a big deal. You can leave the EZ base on the router, when you aren't using it with the guide. It actually makes a sweet offset base. As far as the circular saw. I have a Dewalt that is built like a tank, that I use with the guide. It is definately overkill, but I had it and it is a good saw.

Dino Makropoulos
03-06-2005, 10:01 AM
That Dino, he's so hard to work with :)

The Milwaukee CS won the last test or two I have seen on CS's. I bought a Ridgid and it works fine on the EZ but I would not buy the Ridgid again it tosses chips right in your face. I wish the reviews had come out sooner they are right on regarding the Ridgid.

Mike. The Companies try to compete in visual/ability/sawdust throwing saws.
Just put a skirt in front of the saw. And make it... sexy.
We're getting ready to make dust shields for all saws but it will take some time untill we get it done. Untill then you can make your own.You be surprise what a clear piece of plastic can do.
see you.

Steve Clardy
03-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I use an old PC 447 framers saw with a draft tube. Works great.
On the router, I also am a PC fan. I use the 690 series router on the router setup.
No matter what brand of router you decide to purchase, I suggest getting a router that will not be to heavy, but have enough power to cut dados and such. A 1 or 1 1/2 hp router is all you need, not a big massive heavy router.

Chris Daigh
03-07-2005, 2:06 PM
I had the same problem, have a nice left handed worm drive Makita. I lack the funds so bought a $35 Skil. I am using the EZ to joint some boards over 8 feet. The Skil did a great job. The EZ did a great job.

Michael Cody
03-08-2005, 4:31 PM
Saw question final result ... went to borg's and handled them all. It came down to the BOSCH CS20 & the PC 325Mag(suggested by Dino himself!).

Bosch was really slick with the detachable cord (uses any extension cord), the click detents for depth & angles... built in hook on top to hang the saw from too. The only thing I questioned is the new hi-strength composite base ... warrantied for a 1 story fall w/o breaking, but I am skeptical... then again the PC mag alloy base might not be that much better...

The PC 325 is lighter than the Bosch (not to much though) as well it's got a 45dg positive stop for tilt. It has tool-less blade changes as well as the tube dust extractor for a DC hose which beats the BOSCH back port. In addition is has a brake which is a major plus.

It basically came down to the DC Tube, tool-less blade change & the fact I like my PC 743 saw .. so I bought the PC 325Mag from Amazon .. gonna order my Ez-Smart today...

I am still considering a dedicated router ... have to chew on that one for a while!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-08-2005, 4:57 PM
Mike,

Looks like you made the right choice! A circ saw in a woodshop throws out a LOT of sawdust. It is really a nuisance!!

Anyways, If you do pick up a dedicated router for the guide, don't forget that you don't have to take the router base off of the router to use it while hand routing. The router attachment comes in two parts, so that you can use it with the guide or without, pretty easily. Also, I would think that you could use the whole router guide as an offset base.