PDA

View Full Version : Best treatment for ways to protect against rust from damp walnut?

Dan Forman
11-18-2011, 1:27 AM
I've tried Trewax and Renaisance wax to no avail, still starts to rust by the end of one roughout. Does anything help with walnut? I can take it off with the burgundy colored 3M faux steel wool, but I would rather prevent it in the first place.

Just to be clear, it's not due to humidity, just the green wood chips, but the walnut is by far the worst offender.

Thanks,

Dan

Marty Eargle
11-18-2011, 1:35 AM
I keep a fan blowing directly on my lathe when turning wet wood and for several hours after. I also keep my ways coated in carnauba wax...but sometimes rust is just going to happen.

Gary Max
11-18-2011, 4:42 AM
Large spray bottle of WD-40---apply a coat before you start every day and after you clean up at night. This ain't fancy but it sure as heck stops rust.

steven carter
11-18-2011, 8:44 AM
Best thing I've found is Boeshield T-9. Made for aircraft parts. I have no affiliation, bought a can 3 years ago and it's probably still at 90% full. Here is some info:

Boeshield T-9® was developed and licensed by The Boeing Company to fill their need for a superior lubricant/protectant.
The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes, is designed to penetrate metal pores and dissolve minor corrosion, then leave a resilient waxy coating that lasts for many months.
We began by successfully introducing Boeshield T-9® to the tough saltwater marine market for lubricating and protecting all metals. It works well on engines and deck hardware as well as electronics, batteries and wiring connections. It is non-conductive and will not cause short circuits.
For bicycle chains, T-9® has proven to be a tough, long lasting waterproof lubricant. Our sales keep growing every year despite many competitors.
On woodworking tool surfaces Boeshield T-9® recently topped all other surface treatments in Wood Magazine’s article on Rust Busters*. According to them: “Except for the section treated with Boeshield T-9® all sections have completely rusted over”. “There is only one choice for protectant as far as we’re concerned: Boeshield T-9®”.

Hayes Rutherford
11-18-2011, 9:02 AM
What Gary said, WD-40.

Betty Fox
11-18-2011, 9:04 AM
We use the Boeshield as well. Works great!!!! It goes on the joiner and planer too.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2011, 10:09 AM
When I go to turn walnut especially I spray the ways with WD-40 like Gary. I take steel wool and WD after the session and clean the ways. I think wax with Johnson Auto paste wax.

mike ash
11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Dan - I've turned a lot of wet walnut, oak, cherry and madrone and have found a product called Fluid Film Rust Preventor works much better than all the WD's, Silicones and waxes for me. The Fliud Film I use comes in a can with a brush applicator and has the consistency of vaseline. I rub it all over the ways with one of those sponge/scrubbers for cleaning sinks. I keep it handy and do a light touch-up occassionally. The Fluid Film also comes in a spray can, but I thought the heavy grease was better for my use. MS will clean the ways when you need to do that.

Good Luck, Mike

Kyle Iwamoto
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
+1 on T9. I turn wet mango, and that keeps the ways clean. I use Johnstons paste wax after. I don't spray every use. Maybe every 6 months (for you lazy guys). One thing, it does leave a really bad residue, that gets on your nice wood if you spray it on your table saw. And no you can't sand it off unless you use 80 grit.

Dan Forman
11-18-2011, 2:38 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Come to think of it, I think I have a can of T-9 kicking around here somewhere, so I guess I'll try to find it. Have plenty of WD 40 too, Fluid Film sounds interesting too. Will report back on the results.

Dan

Harvey Ghesser
11-18-2011, 9:42 PM
I use a product called Ballistol. The lathe bed shines like new.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2011, 10:20 PM
You can do what I did... and upgrade to stainless!

robert baccus
11-18-2011, 10:22 PM
In my mispent youth i guided duckhunters in the salt marshes of la. rust on the boats and shotguns was a daily thing. WD40 came out about then and really looked good on the blue jobs on fancy shotguns. took it to the hunting camps. we watched shotguns rust by midmorning and found the stuff to be a good cleaning and penetrating oil but useless for rust preventitive. an offshore petr. engineer introduced us to an industrial product--Navy Brand--Moisturol DR 50. one application would last my twice barrel shotgun an entire season. i kept in my boat for the "sports" guns and boat hardware. they have a website and phone # is 800-325-3312. i have no personal interest here.------------------old forester

Lee Koepke
11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Turn dry walnut???

Dan Forman
11-19-2011, 3:49 AM
Wow, lots of options here. I like Steve's suggestion best, but since I was finally able to find my T-9 bottle, I'll try that first. The DR 50 sounds promising too. Must have been fun getting that American Beauty down the basement steps.

Dan

Roger Chandler
11-19-2011, 3:27 PM
+1 on Steve's upgrade to an American Beauty............good if you can do it! If that is not an option........then +1 on the T-9!