PDA

View Full Version : Engraving stencils

Robert Tepper
11-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Today while watching a deonstartion on a trotec 45 watt machine we tried to make some stencils but mostly melted and burned them.

While looking on the internet tonight I saw that stencils by other companies are making them out of 7 mil mylar.

Does anyone know of a source for this material?

Thanks,
Robert

Dan Hintz
11-18-2011, 8:10 AM
Old X-ray films work well for stencils... and they're free, just ask your local slice-and-dice hotel.

Mike Null
11-18-2011, 8:30 AM
Try this place.

http://www.grafixplastics.com/index.asp

Richard DiMaggio
11-18-2011, 8:43 AM
I have some "laserboard" (brand name polybak) that works extremely well for stencils. Made of resin impregnated paper at .011" thick, cuts with a CO2 laser like butter with no dangerous outgassing. Contains no formaldahyde. Let me know if you would like me to send you a small sample. Just pay for the postage.
rj

Martin Boekers
11-18-2011, 9:47 AM
Old X-ray films work well for stencils... and they're free, just ask your local slice-and-dice hotel.

I hate to say it X-Ray film is laden with silver, most all shops have a recovery
company take it and pays them for it.

Daniel Markovich
11-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Brazzill Polyester Sheets work well for stencils!

Ron Fairbanks
11-18-2011, 2:42 PM
I stock and can spare some 7 mil or 10 mil sheets that are 12"x24", PM me for details.

Chuck Stone
11-18-2011, 4:11 PM
I hate to say it X-Ray film is laden with silver, most all shops have a recovery
company take it and pays them for it.

Lately, they don't even use the film anymore. Most have gone digital.
I remember buying a set of large filing cabinets at an auction years ago.
We were told that we HAD to take the contents. (heh heh heh )
Sold the cabinets to the second highest bidder for his last bid (I think
it was about $200) and made several thousand dragging all the negatives
to a recycler. Took a few van loads, but worth it!

John Noell
11-19-2011, 2:05 PM
Recently had an MRI on the arthritic knee (hopeless) and while they transmitted the whole thing to the doc electronically, they insisted I take the "films" with me. I looked at the stack of stencils-to-be and happily accepted them.