PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot articulated arm

Chris Colman
11-17-2011, 9:30 PM
Here is my version of the articulated arm. Everything came from Home Depot and total cost was less than $20.

It works pretty well. It is made using 1/4" x 2" flat steel strap. The joints have double nylon washers for bearings. The boring bar is only 12 inches long so it gets a little flex or vibration when you are working more than 6 or 8 inches over the tool rest. I think if I make a longer boring bar it will solve that.

Comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

John Keeton
11-17-2011, 9:55 PM
Interesting rig, Chris!! Most of my forms are less than 4" deep, so it would be fine for the type of work I do. Very ingenious!

Bruce Pratt
11-17-2011, 9:57 PM
Looks good. Any chance you can provide a full parts list?

David E Keller
11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Pretty cool and definitely cost effective!

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Looks like it will do the job.

David Reed
11-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I enjoy making my own tools and this is a fine example. Nicely done.

Russell Neyman
11-18-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm surprised that you haven't put the arm into a capturing slot to reduce rollover. Have you considered that?

Antonio Martinez
11-18-2011, 8:21 AM
Can you provide a picture over the tool rest?

Thom Sturgill
11-18-2011, 8:28 AM
How much flex are you getting in the arm? One possible improvement - make the piece that holds the boring bar longer and use two U-bolts. Also grind a flat on the top of the boring bar.

Chris Colman
11-18-2011, 8:43 AM
I'm surprised that you haven't put the arm into a capturing slot to reduce rollover. Have you considered that?

How much flex are you getting in the arm? One possible improvement - make the piece that holds the boring bar longer and use two U-bolts. Also grind a flat on the top of the boring bar. Thom Sturgill

I am getting ZERO movement at the U-bolt clamps, either at the boring bar or at the tailstock. The U-bolt fits snugly enough to have contact on the round shafts, and they have 1-1/2 or so bearing on the hot roll steel. No slippage there.

The flex comes from either the 1/4 hot roll soft steel, or the nylon bearing washers. I am going to try some steel roller bearings and races to see if that will firm it up a bit.

I will work on some more pics and parts list.

PS: Another thought about vibration/flex. I think the laser pointer assembly gets to bouncing in a harmonic vibration. If I use one hand to steady the laser arm, the vibration goes away and the cut smooths out when I am in deep/ far over the tool rest.

Baxter Smith
11-18-2011, 9:29 AM
Looks good Chris. I wonder if doubling up the two middle bars might reduce flex at the joints. The bolts you are using look long enough. Add the front one first, then the one back toward the tailstock, then put the bolts down through again.

Michelle Rich
11-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Interesting..I use an elbow unit & I see you hook it to the tailstock the same way..easy to use on any lathe this way..looks like it should work just fine.

Marvin Hasenak
11-20-2011, 3:12 AM
Nice job! Do you have anymore photos?

Rich Aldrich
11-20-2011, 8:58 AM
Chris, Nice work. I have plans to make one, but haven't gotten to it yet. I have bearings, I just need everything else. The vibration you are getting could be a natrual frequency.

Donny Lawson
11-20-2011, 9:22 AM
Looks like a fine set up. I've been thinking on one for myself but haven't had the time to work on it yet. I've not got into HF very much yet though. Post a few more pics when you get time if you can.