PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Rowmark ColorCast Acrylics?

Steve Clarkson
11-17-2011, 7:22 PM
Has anyone used the Rowmark ColorCast Acrylics? Johnsons has it for just under $20 sq ft.......a little expensive if you need a lot.

I need the glossy burgundy. Is it reverse engravable? Is it just really nice cast acrylic? So will my settings to cut/engrave be closer to my acrylic settings or closer to normal Rowmark settings?

Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Rodne Gold
11-17-2011, 11:17 PM
It looks like its the same as any other cell cast acrylic. $20 a sq ft is exhorbitant and a total rip off , 1/8th thick colour acvrylic should be round $3 a sq ft and that would be an expensive price , my top quality cast acrylic I imported from china is round $2 a sq ft.

Scott Shepherd
11-18-2011, 8:19 AM
Just buy clear acrylic and paint it with a rattle can of spray paint. It will look amazing and you can have any color that the spray paint comes in. You can reverse engrave it as well.

I paint acrylic quite often. It turns out outstanding. You can do a crummy job on the paint side, but when you flip it over, the paint looks like glass it's so smooth.

Steve Clarkson
11-18-2011, 9:00 AM
Scott,

Normally I woud suggest that, but they want it to match existing signage.

I just can't believe how much this stuff costs and that no one else carries it or something similar.

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2011, 9:24 PM
Scott,

Normally I woud suggest that, but they want it to match existing signage.

I just can't believe how much this stuff costs and that no one else carries it or something similar.

I have done it and matched, but it takes a lot of extra time to match the paint color, so the savings is uses up in labor.
If you have to match something that's not a standard color it's the only way to go, other than paying Rowmark for custom and that is really expensive.

Angus Hines
11-19-2011, 11:26 AM
@Steve contact Howard at www.norvaplastics.com and he'll hook you up a lot cheaper than $20 a sqft.

john passek
11-20-2011, 6:20 PM
You got it cheap, I just looked up 1/8 colorcast in Canada and its $37.50 sq ft.