PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: Penn State 2hp DC

Victor Robinson
11-17-2011, 7:12 PM
I had put off permanently plumbing my DC system because the HF 2HP collector ended up being a little too loud to run often (~85db). So it sits in the corner, and I drag my Fein from tool to tool and it does an adequate job on most tools. Unfortunately I only have a little corner in my shop for a DC, and closing it off or adding soundproofing isn't an option due to space constraints. Noise is the biggest factor because our home is attached on both sides to the neighbors.

The PSI 2hp collector is rated on their website at 65db, which is in the neighborhood of my Fein at lower suction levels..which would be perfect and allow me to do the permanent install I'd prefer. I'm curious whether owners of this collector have actually found this to be true?

Any other comments regarding this DC are also welcome.

Anyone in the market for a hardly used HF 2hp collector? :)

david brum
11-19-2011, 9:48 AM
I hesitate to respond because I don't have a Penn State DC. I wanted to point out that there are no agreed standards for judging DC noise (that I'm aware of). So, one manufacturer might record decibels next to the machine, whereas another might record decibels 50' away. The dust collection industry is notorious for citing outrageous and impossible numbers for the performance of their dust collectors, especially single stage DCs. For example, PSI rates their 7.5hp DC (with an 18" impeller) at 83 db. I'm pretty sure you'd have to be outside to get a reading that low.

Since DC noise seems to be a function of how much air roars through the system, the PSI DC should actually be noisier, since it has a bigger impeller. If PSI had invented a device for making DCs quiet, everybody would have one, that's for sure.

BTW, aren't your machines noisier than your DC anyway? It seems like if the neighbors object to anything, it would be a screaming planer or screeching table saw.

Victor Robinson
11-19-2011, 5:14 PM
Thanks for the reply David. Yes, I've become keenly aware of the inflated specs on DCs! That's why I was hoping someone with real world experience with these DCs could attest to whether they really are any quieter. I have a hard time believing any bag/canister DC could score in the 60-70 range, but who knows.

To answer your last question, yes, of course many of my tools are louder. But the DC would be running more often than the louder offenders, which get used in short bursts. It would also be running with quieter tools, such as the drum sander, bandsaw, and router cabinet. It would probably be the noise the neighbors hear most frequently, constantly turning off an on. That's why it's a concern.

I'm considering maybe being able to build a small closet in the corner I have my HF DC stashed. Maybe I'll post a pic of the space and see if folks here think it's doable...honestly I'm not sure how to go about it or whether I have enough room.

ian maybury
11-19-2011, 7:06 PM
One to be careful of Victor is that 2hp is a bit marginal for a ducted system - in that unless the piping is down to about the length of that of a mobile unit it'll probably struggle to do a lot more than pick up chips, and will probably be short of the cfm required to do a decent job of clearing the work volume of fine dust. Especially so with 4in ducting. It might be worth reading Bill Pentz's 'dust collection basics' page before making any decision on what size of system to go for....

ian