PDA

View Full Version : Bar top (poured) finish

Bryan Cramer
11-17-2011, 7:06 PM
I was commissioned to make serving trays for someone to give as a Christmas gift. They need a durable finish on the inside bottom of the tray. The tray will have sides so I thought I could pour a finish on to bottom and the sides would trap it like a form. Then, after masking off the inside bottom, the sides and bottom will be sprayed with polyurethane. What kind/brand of bar top finish would you recommend? One woodworker I know used a two part epoxy from the home center. That seems messy mixing a larger amount of epoxy. Is that still a reasonable option? Any other tips on pouring a finish?

Thanks

Scott Holmes
11-17-2011, 8:22 PM
Get a 2 part epoxy "bartop" finish at a woodworking store if you can. Epoxy "glue" at the big box stores would be very expensive and possibly have a slight yellow tint. I don't recall seeing the pour on epoxy at the big box stores.

Make sure the tray is LEVEL in both directions.

Tip 1: putting a pour on finish on raw wood always has the possiblity of an air bubble getting trapped in the finish. Pour or brush on (throw away brush) a very thin coat of epoxy to seal the tray. Then after it has dried pour the final coat to the correct thickness. This will prevent air from escaping from the wood and the bubble only getting 1/2 way out of the finish coat.

Tip 2: To get bubbles out of the thick pour-on coat; use the heat from a propane torch (NOT THE FLAME) to warm the liquid from above and help the bubbles pop. Keep the FLAME far away from teh surface say 8" or so the heat will pop the bubbles. The flame will damage the finish.

Howard Acheson
11-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Google "two part epoxy pour-on finish". You will find a number of responses there that should help you. I have found there is little difference in brands of pour-on finishes so you can pretty much use what you find and a big box or a paint store. Closely following the instructions are key to ending up with a good job.

Be aware that these types of finishes scratch fairly easily and are very difficult to repair.

Rich Engelhardt
11-18-2011, 2:50 PM
Tip 2: To get bubbles out of the thick pour-on coat; use the heat from a propane torch (NOT THE FLAME) to warm the liquid from above and help the bubbles pop. Keep the FLAME far away from teh surface say 8" or so the heat will pop the bubbles. The flame will damage the finish.

On small items, like the trays the OP mentioned, you simply exhale slowly on the epoxy.

I have no idea how or why it works - but - it does.

Bryan Cramer
11-18-2011, 5:13 PM
Thank you guys for your help! So a bar top finish scratches easily. Should I even use it for my trays?

Scott Holmes
11-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Warmth expands the bubbles and causes them to pop. Exhaling does work; you will quickly tire, also exhaled breath has a lot of moisture.

Steve Kohn
11-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Can you use a heatgun? If so what would be the process?

Scott Holmes
11-20-2011, 12:44 AM
You can, but they tend to blow too hard causing ripples; not a good thing.

Howard Acheson
11-20-2011, 12:38 PM
>>>> You can, but they tend to blow too hard causing ripples; not a good thing.

Some have success using a hair dryer set on the lowest speed.

Chad Easterling
11-23-2011, 9:23 AM
I just saw the "pour on" bar top finish at Lowes last night. It was in the same area as the varnishes.