PDA

View Full Version : Need new sander!

Scott Donley
03-05-2005, 4:11 PM
Hello all, another newbe here. Been lurking for a long time and just joined a bit ago. Being a single Dad for the last 16 years has not left me a lot of time for my hobbies but the Daughter is in her second year of collage, I am taking an early retirement in April, and it’s time to spend some time for me to have some funJ

All that just to ask this , I need a new sander, the old Makita ¼ sheet has bit the dust, Looking at the Dewalt 421 and the PC 333, any pros or cons on either?
Thanks !

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2005, 4:23 PM
Hello Scott and welcome to the site. I am new here as well. Great place. Scott I have both the Dewal 421 and a Porter Cable PC 332. The PC332 is not dustless and is about 15 years old in my shop. The 332 uses the stick on paper. I recently bought the Dewalt for its dustless capabilities and hook and loop paper system. The PC is stil going strong after many years of use. The PC 333 uses hook and loop and has dust control. The PC 333 and Dewalt 521 are both excellent models, either would be a good choice..... I would buy which ever you can get cheaper or..... which color looks better in your shop, grey and black or yellow and black? :)
Corey

Robert Johnstone
03-05-2005, 4:36 PM
Scott, I got a Bosch Sheetlock for Christmas and I love it. Has the easiest method of loading the 1/4 sheet I have ever seen and a great dust collecting system.

Jim Becker
03-05-2005, 5:09 PM
I used a couple PC333s for years and they were fine sanders. I only gave them up for the Festool products that I now use, but if I needed a lower cost ROS, the PC would be the one I'd buy. Good machine.

RichMagnone
03-05-2005, 5:33 PM
I'll throw in another vote for the Festool sanding products - got mine from Bob M about a year ago and I love it.

If not for Festool, I might own the Ridgid which gets great reviews too. I gave my PC333 to my mother (and she likes it).

Doug Shepard
03-05-2005, 6:36 PM
I've had the DeWalt 421 for around 10 years now (maybe more). Haven't had any problems with it and it does a good job. I would have gotten the variable speed 423, but when my last sander died none of the local stores had anything but the 421 in stock and I was in the middle of a project so I bought it. If my 421 ever dies, I'll probably replace it with the 423.

lou sansone
03-05-2005, 7:04 PM
dewalt 423 or 421 or take a look at the fein line of sanders

Jim W. White
03-05-2005, 7:14 PM
I've had the Porter Cable 333 for over 8 years and it's bullet proof. I also own the Ridgid 6" ROS which is acually a re-branded Metabo and it is a very fine sander if you consider stepping up to a six in model.

The 5" PC is hard to beat though for the money!!

...Jim W

Tim Morton
03-05-2005, 7:59 PM
I could maybe give you a deal on a NIB Bosch sander if you are interested. I bought the jigsaw as a gift for someone and it came with a nice sander. PM me if you are interested.

joseph j shields
03-05-2005, 8:47 PM
You may want to check out the Ridgid 6" ROS at the BORG. You can pick it up for about $139. It is built in Germany by Metabo...and the identical Metabo cost over $200.

I just bought one and like it alot. One cool feature is you can change the size of the orbit from 1/4" (for fast removal) to 1/8" (for finishing)

Dust collection is good.

-jj

JayStPeter
03-05-2005, 9:52 PM
I'm another who moved from the PC333 to Festool. The Festool is real nice. But, I still think the PC is a good bang for the buck.

Jay

Dan Mages
03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
I have the PC 333. It does a great job with the right sandpaper. The dust can is okay, but works better when hooked up the a vacum or dust collector.

Dan

Charlie Plesums
03-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I bought the Ridgid 1/4 sheet ROS as my 4th (or 5th or ...) ROS, and it has become my favorite. Pleasant ergonomics. Dust collection is pretty good for a cut sheet sander (it comes with a gizmo that punches 6 holes in the quarter sheet), and it gets into corners better than a disc sander (but doesn't do edges as well). For only $50 it was a surprising deal.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 9:22 AM
Sounds like either of your choices would fit the bill nicely. I have worked alot with the dewalts and they are a great unit. I get a great discount on Craftsman, so I picked up their professional ROS for about $30 ($70 sander).

Dan Mages
03-06-2005, 9:27 AM
One other thing about the PC. If you take off the velco plate on the bottom, you will see a small belt. If you remove that belt, you sander will take off like a bat outta hell. You will sand through tough spots with no problem!

Dan

Jeff Sudmeier
03-06-2005, 9:32 AM
Scott,

Also, Welcome to the creek! We are glad to have you!

Link to Bosch ROS in Classifieds (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17617)

Check out the URL above for a sander being sold by a member of the creek.

Andy Haney
03-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Just came home from the WW show, where I handled Woodlines' 3.5 amp (really strong), variable speed, 5" ROS (WL-SAN3). I don't need one now, but when mine gives up I will compare what I saw at Woodline to those on your list. I usually shop for price in addition to quality, and this one only costs $44.

Andy Haney