PDA

View Full Version : First 'reasonable' pieces - after being caught in the vortex

Don Palese
11-17-2011, 5:31 PM
A year ago, I took the plunge into turning .. since then I've turned perfectly good wood into waste wood. I think I'm getting closer (IMHO).
In the pictures there is a Pear Wood vase 12" tall 6.5" at top on a small cherry base. I filled the cracks with first with CA and shavings and then with turq. stone dust; I've named it "Almost Petrified Vase". The bowl is 10.5 x 3.5 - black walnut and silver maple.

Comments welcome .. I'll be away from the computer 11/18 to 11/27 .. So don't worry about reprisals ..

and

Happy Thanks Giving

Don in Medford, OR

thomas prusak
11-17-2011, 6:01 PM
They look great Don, like John has said, walnut and maple were made to go together.

John Keeton
11-17-2011, 7:00 PM
Don, looks like you are making some good progress! I do like walnut and maple, and particularly if the maple has some figure. The only suggestion I would make on that piece is probably a little less foot - perhaps 1/4"-3/8" in height and about 3.5" in diameter. The vase is a major undertaking!! That is some deep work, and much deeper than I have attempted.

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2011, 7:18 PM
Don looks like you have been learning and are on your way. I do like the bowl but like John would like to see the foot smaller. The vase is a nice vase and is a job to do one like that but you did well.

David E Keller
11-17-2011, 8:00 PM
Nice work on both pieces! I agree with JK on the bowl's foot, but I'm a foot minimalist(used to be a foot hater, but I'm coming around). I'd consider making the top detail on the vase a little more defined to match the treatment you did on the bottom, but that's a pretty small nit to pick! Looking forward to seeing more from you!