PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made Bowl Steady - Quick and Dirty

Prashun Patel
11-17-2011, 2:57 PM
Thought I'd share this. It's a quick and dirty bowl steady using 2 rollerblade wheels, scrap t-track, and a 2x4.

The steady clamps to the table - not the ways, which makes it easy to take on and off without removing the tool rest or hollower.

It also uses 2 wheels instead of 3 or 4 so I can still use my Monster's laser.

There's no encircling frame, so I can use it on bowls and forms as large as my 12" lathe can handle.

If I need more support, I suppose a 2nd one can be used clamped to the rear of the table (my existing tracks are probably twice as long as necessary anyway!)

Not so pretty, but seems to get the job done.

Roger Chandler
11-17-2011, 3:03 PM
pretty nifty idea, Prashun! I think I would shorten the t-track a little so as not to poke myself in the face!

alex grams
11-17-2011, 3:06 PM
Maybe it is the new turner in me, but wouldn't you want to load the piece evenly and not have a side load? Or are you just isolating against vibration/resonance?

Prashun Patel
11-17-2011, 3:12 PM
It's 'modeled' after the Oneway bowl steady, which people seem to think works well.

It worked well for me on the one piece I've turned using it so far.

Since the gouge is applied at the point between the wheels, I figure it's got support right where it needs it. The wheels should (I think) counter the gouge - which is not applying evenly dispersed pressure...?

alex grams
11-17-2011, 3:17 PM
Ahh, i didn't think about the gouge relative to the steadies. That makes more sense.

Do you move the wheels to contact just enough that they spin from contact, with just a minimum of force?

Looks like a neat setup.

Which monster hollowing system do you have on your delta?

thomas prusak
11-17-2011, 3:23 PM
Hi Prashun,

Your son just called and he wants to know if you have seen his roller blades. Said he has the right but not the left! :) Seriously though, neat set up...

Prashun Patel
11-17-2011, 3:26 PM
I never used a steady before, so I just set the wheels like I do on my bandsaw: So they just barely spin when the piece is not loaded. This causes them to engage with even the slightest bit of pressure from the cutter.

I have the Monster MAP-HDX. Like others here, I don't regret my purchase. I think to appreciate it, you have to try turning a couple deep bowls/forms with a gouge by hand. Then you really appreciate the ease of using this thing.

Gary Max
11-17-2011, 3:31 PM
For the size of the lathe they should work perfect-----that's the trick----tooling needs to match the job.

alex grams
11-17-2011, 3:38 PM
Don't worry Prashun, I am a long ways from doing hollow forms or considering an investment in any hollowing system. I still am working on crawling before i consider walking or running :)

Prashun Patel
11-17-2011, 3:48 PM
"...I am a long ways from doing hollow forms or considering an investment in any hollowing system..."

I'm sure if you searched this forum, you'll find I said the same thing a few months ago. There's a reason they call it the vortex...

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2011, 4:29 PM
Congrats on building your own steady! Looks like it should work just fine!!