PDA

View Full Version : General Safety

Jim Rimmer
11-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Got this link from Popular Woodworking today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xduiguKEziQ&et_mid=526335&rid=232940282

You would think they would pay closer attention to general safety guidelines in making the video. As Safety Manager for our company here are a few of my observations (and most were in the first few seconds of the video:

1. Wearing gloves while operating rotating machinery
2. Improper lifting techniques - lifting with back, not legs; reaching and twisting while lifting (observed multiple times)
3. Climbing stairs with both hands full of heavy gear
4. Some operators didn't appear to be using ear protection (hard to tell; some had earplugs)
5. Our company limit on lifting by an individual is 40#. The saw weighs in at 52#

Other than that, the saw looks great.

Bruce Page
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Jim, I agree with all of your observations, but a 40 pound limit? My dogs would starve because I would never get the dog food out of the trunk! :)

Jim Rimmer
11-17-2011, 1:19 PM
Jim, I agree with all of your observations, but a 40 pound limit? My dogs would starve because I would never get the dog food out of the trunk! :)
That is a pretty low limit but it was set by someone other than me. Basically, it lets the employees know that they should get help with heavy loads. Sure, I can pick up a bag of sakrete with out hurting myself but I don't want to do that all day long. :)

Matt Day
11-17-2011, 1:56 PM
I'm all for safety, don't get my wrong, but I think they did a pretty good job. If we're trying to nit-pick, you're list is spot on. Maybe you should send Bosch your resume and be their video editor! :)

Shoot, if you really want to talk about safety on TV or youtube, watch some of the shows on DIY/HGTV - it's crazy how little they pay attention to safety while using the TS. Not using a rip fence for example.

Chris Tsutsui
11-17-2011, 5:19 PM
I understand how Bosch wants people to think the saw is light so they show people lifting it without using their legs. The commercial certainly doesn't make the saw seem like it weighs 50lbs +.

I had their previous generation jobsite saw which came with a gravity rise stand. I didn't like lifting that thing at all and appreciated the stand to use as a dolley.

When I sold thesaw, the buyer said this will be his 3rd saw he's using for installing hardwood floors and they're the best jobsite saws he's used in all his 20+ years. Then he told me that he doesn't want the gravity rise stand. I told him that I didn't need it so he took and said he'd probably just toss it. Now that I think about it, somebody probably could have benefited from the gravity rise stand...