PDA

View Full Version : cherry natural edge w/ bark- DNA soak??

Michael Ginsberg
11-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Last night I rough turned a piece of freshly cut cherry to a open vase form. largest diameter is 7 inches. Rough turned to 3/4. Height is about 14". Saturated the bark in thin CA and it held well. Normally I would do the DNA method of drying. Still a good idea w/ bark hardened w/ CA? As of now sitting in a brown paper bag.
I have turned several cherry pieces but, this smelled sooo good. Kind of like fresh apple cider!!

David E Keller
11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
The DNA hasn't interfered with CA the times I've done it, but I've sort of gotten away from DNA drying. I've started painting the exterior with anchorseal and setting them aside... Seems to work just as well for me although a bit slower.

Michael Ginsberg
11-17-2011, 11:03 AM
David,
Do you put in a bag after sealing w/ the Anchor Seal? Do you only seal the exterior?

The DNA hasn't interfered with CA the times I've done it, but I've sort of gotten away from DNA drying. I've started painting the exterior with anchorseal and setting them aside... Seems to work just as well for me although a bit slower.

Tony De Masi
11-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Micheal, I've just finish three NE cherry pieces and did the DNA soak on all of them with no issues. However, on one piece I really had to soak the bark with CA glue on the sides as well as the top. The sides were no issue but the top ended up with white spots that I won't be able to remove. Doesn't bother me in the least though.

Michael Ginsberg
11-17-2011, 2:48 PM
Tony, Were the white spots present before the DNA bath? I was thinking that they might be from the accelerator. Or do you think they came from the DNA?

Micheal, I've just finish three NE cherry pieces and did the DNA soak on all of them with no issues. However, on one piece I really had to soak the bark with CA glue on the sides as well as the top. The sides were no issue but the top ended up with white spots that I won't be able to remove. Doesn't bother me in the least though.

Tony De Masi
11-17-2011, 5:31 PM
They were not there before or after I applied the CA glue. The did however show up after they started to dry after taking them out of the DNA.

Michael Ginsberg
11-17-2011, 5:36 PM
DNA Chickenpox hey? No cure?

Tony De Masi
11-17-2011, 6:47 PM
No cure. At least that I am aware of anyway.

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2011, 7:22 PM
I have pretty much stopped the DNA baths and gone to using ancherseal. I coated both the inside and outside. It does take longer to dry but haven't lost a bowl since I started it. When I was using the DNA I didn't have any problems with it and using CA glue on the bark.

David E Keller
11-17-2011, 7:39 PM
David,
Do you put in a bag after sealing w/ the Anchor Seal? Do you only seal the exterior?

Sorry, Michael... I just got home from work. I have been painting the entire exterior of the hollowform with anchorseal, and then I place them on a shelf in the shop. For bowls and more open forms, I think the standard is to paint the endgrain inside and out, but I haven't turned many bowls.

Ken Hill
11-18-2011, 6:13 AM
Hit the white spots with some oil