PDA

View Full Version : woodworking show this weekend

Rich Noterman
11-17-2011, 9:45 AM
Any one going to the woodworking show in Denver this weekend. Starts Friday, they dont have many of the big boys and there toys at this show. I went last year with my LOML and my dad and a good time

Rich

Dave Sepucha
11-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking of going, but I've never been to a WW show. This seems pretty small to me, any insight on what I can expect if I do end up going?

Thanks!

Ray Newman
11-17-2011, 6:46 PM
Dave Sepucha: I attended the Portland Show last Saturday (Nov. 12). I drove down for specific reasons:-- I wanted to examine some of the Lee Valley planes, esp. recently introduced small bevel up smoothing plane. -- Since Felder was there, I wanted to look at the Hammer K-3 saws. Often heard how well made and practical the European sliding saws are and this was the opportunity to inspect the K-3 and its features.--The Squeeze wanted to take advantage of a sale at a large fabric store to stock up on quilting fabric and related things as well as stop at a few quilt shops on the way back. I came away impressed with the Lee Valley planes, their other sundry tools as well as their hardware display and the Hammer K-3 sliding table saw. The newly designed Bosch 12” miter saw was there and I was surprised at how smoothly it operates. I observed quite a few buyers taking advantage of Bosch’s sales. While there I also talked to David Hughes, President of Peachtree Woodworking. Probably for at least the last 10 years, I seem him at every show and chat with him for a few minutes. It has become sort of a ritual for me to talk with him and Dave Keller of Keller Dovetail jigs. ‘Sorta’ hard to believe that I bought a Keller jig in the mid to late 1980’s.As for the show itself, it was about the size of last year’s Portland Show. But even though I was there on Saturday, it did not seem to be as crowded as last year’s show. As I said, I went for specific reasons as the show is an approx. 200 mile round trip drive, so it was worthwhile for me. While there, I also look for the “gadgets and gizmos” that might save me time and/or make something easier. As for the seminars, I never attended one. So I can not comment. Since you never attended a wood show, it just might be worth your while to go. You could probably spend 3+ hours perusing the books at Fine Wood Working, watching the vendors’ demonstrations, and just talking and listening to the vendors and other woodworkers.