PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Out the BIG Guns

James Combs
11-16-2011, 9:49 PM
It may be getting a little late in the hunting season but I made these and think they should still sell well.

From LtoR: (bullet size is prior to modification for pen use)
1st - 308 w/8mm 175 grain match grade Solid Copper dressed in Gun Metal and BLM burl
2nd - 8mm Mauser w/175 grain match grade Solid Copper dressed in Gold and Cocobolo
3rd - 3006 w/155 grain match grade FMJ dressed in Gun Metal and Walnut
4th - 3006 w/155 grain match grade FMJ dressed in Satin Nichol and Marble Wood
5th - 3006 w/155 grain match grade FMJ dressed in Chrome and Antler
6th - 3006 w/155 grain match grade FMJ dressed in Gold and Antler
7th - 3006 w/155 grain match grade FMJ dressed in Gold and Antler
8th - 300 Weatherby Magnum w/155 grain match grade FMJ dressed in Chrome and Walnut Burl

Other side of cap
(note difference in length of exposed portion of twist mechanism, the 300 mag is almost hidden. That is one huge case. It may not be mistaken for a 50 cal but...)

Refills are a variate of Parker styles including standard pen, roller ball, and gell(writes like a roller ball)

The caps require at least a bushing to keep it centered over the twist mechanism. I include a center band as part of the bushing. About half are turned out of black acrylic, the others are turned out of black wood. Not sure if it is Ebony or African Black Wood or something else. The example below is wood.

Edit: Finish is - All wood components have 10 coats of CA as finish MM to 12000. Brass is sanded to 800, Brasso polished, wiped with MS then two coats of lacquer.

C&C appreciated

Roger Chandler
11-16-2011, 9:59 PM
WOW! They should be well received by hunters especially!

Kathy Marshall
11-17-2011, 12:53 AM
Those look great James! My dad would have loved them! He was a hunter, a competition shooter and gun collector and also did all of his own loading. He had over 50 guns one of which was a fully automatic machine gun!

John Keeton
11-17-2011, 6:29 AM
JD, that certainly is a nice array of unique pens! I am curious - are you starting with clean brass, and after reaming out the base, then seating a bullet? Sometime, you need to do a club demo on this!! BTW, don't forget the next meeting - December 1!

Baxter Smith
11-17-2011, 9:40 AM
Nice work JD. I have some friends who would love one of those. I used to reload for a 308 and an old 32-40 that belonged to my grandfather.

James Combs
11-17-2011, 4:44 PM
WOW! They should be well received by hunters especially!
Thanks Roger, just hope I am not too late in the season.:o

Those look great James! My dad would have loved them! He was a hunter, a competition shooter and gun collector and also did all of his own loading. He had over 50 guns one of which was a fully automatic machine gun!
Thanks Kathy, would have like to have known your Dad. Sounds like we have a lot in common.:)

JD, that certainly is a nice array of unique pens! I am curious - are you starting with clean brass, and after reaming out the base, then seating a bullet? Sometime, you need to do a club demo on this!! BTW, don't forget the next meeting - December 1!
Thanks John, my brass is a mixture of new and old. Most of the 3006 is new from Sportsman's Warehouse reload department as are all the bullets. I also have some new 277 brass but all of the rest is used and donated to me by a friend who does his own reloading. I would be glad to do a club demo on making one. I would have to make some minor changes to the process, I would have to move some minor machining from my metal lathe to the wood lathe but a lot of guys on the IAP do brass and copper metal work on their wood lathes, not a big deal especially when using tipped tools.

Nice work JD. I have some friends who would love one of those. I used to reload for a 308 and an old 32-40 that belonged to my grandfather.

Thanks Baxter, BTW I do accept commission work.:D PM me if you would like to have either the 308 or the 32-40 made into a pen.;)