PDA

View Full Version : A Trio of Ornaments

James Combs
11-16-2011, 9:04 PM
I haven't posted any turnings in a while so I thought I might catch things up a bit. Here for your enjoyment and critique are three segmented ornaments. And since I don't have an original thought in my whole body they are shamelessly plagiarized from another creeker. I don't recall where I saw similar ones but...

The segments for this one:
Maple hanger, walnut top, plywood center, walnut bottom, maple icicle.

Maple hanger, cherry inner, plywood middle, cherry outer, curly maple icicle.

Ebonized maple top, cherry inner, plywood middle, cherry outer, ebonized maple icicle.

Close ups of the segmentation including a blank.

All are sealed with thin CA then sprayed with Deft rattle can lacquer.

Also had time for a bottle stopper.
Cocobolo I believe(an off cut from John K.)

C&C appreciated.

John Keeton
11-16-2011, 9:30 PM
JD, looks like you are back at it! Good to see you posting some turnings. I like the ornaments - particularly the second and third ones. Curt Fuller is the one that posted the plywood laminate/segment ornaments, and it is a great idea he shared.

Roger Chandler
11-16-2011, 9:33 PM
Nice, JD! Especially nice on the ebonized one.........good stuff!

Curt Fuller
11-16-2011, 9:35 PM
Those are very pretty James. I made several of the plywood laminated ornaments this year but I think your wood combinations and beautiful finish look a lot better than mine. There are lots of interesting patterns you can get when you just vary the glue up a little. Again, those are really nice.

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2011, 10:40 PM
James those are really nice. I do like the segmented patterns.

Michelle Rich
11-17-2011, 6:10 AM
#3 is my favorite...

James Combs
11-17-2011, 4:58 PM
JD, looks like you are back at it! Good to see you posting some turnings. I like the ornaments - particularly the second and third ones. Curt Fuller is the one that posted the plywood laminate/segment ornaments, and it is a great idea he shared.
Thanks John for the comments and for refreshing my memory of Curt's originals. Haven't really been anyplace just not been posting turnings, other posts/comments in others threads but not my own. The plywood seems to work very good especially if the inner layers are highly differentiated in color. Most plywood inner layers are very light, probably poplar, but I found some that looked almost like it had layers of walnut between maple. The only issue with it is that it tears out easily and tends to have a lot of voids.

Nice, JD! Especially nice on the ebonized one.........good stuff!
Thanks Roger, the ebonizing was simply flat black spray paint. It came out pretty good except for some reason there is a difference in color between the top and icicle(can't see it in the photo). The top is pitch black but the bottom came out more of a charcoal grey. Not sure why.

Those are very pretty James. I made several of the plywood laminated ornaments this year but I think your wood combinations and beautiful finish look a lot better than mine. There are lots of interesting patterns you can get when you just vary the glue up a little. Again, those are really nice.
Curt I really appreciate the inspiration. I am working on one now that I am hoping will place a celtic knot or at least diagonal bands around the ball.

#3 is my favorite...
Thanks Michelle, my favorite is the 2nd one. You can't tell it from the photo but the icicle is curly maple and does it ever shimmer in the light.