PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Red Maple Bowls

Baxter Smith
11-16-2011, 7:32 PM
Cut a dead maple in Maine the summer before last and roughed these out. I pulled out five of them from the box to finish turn a couple days ago. After using diluted white glue, then repeated coats of shellac, I put three back. Maybe I will get to them…… someday…. or maybe not.
Joe Watson had a question about white spots in some maple he had turned and I mentioned something about white rot and said I would post a picture. I assume that’s what the white spot on the outside is.
It is very soft and would have been difficult to deal with if it had been on the end grain portion of the bowl. I left much of the tree in the woods because of it.

12 x 3 x on the open bowl and 10 x 4 on the mixing bowl. One coat of polymerized tung oil so far.
Thoughts and comments are always welcome!
Put the photo tent away this morning so I will give you folks a break!:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Now those are nice looking bowls Baxter. I like them both. I just got some polymerized tung oil in from Lee Valley. Is that what you use?

Kathy Marshall
11-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Those are some good looking bowls Baxter! I especially like the bigger one and the wood looks very nice!

Joe Watson
11-17-2011, 1:29 AM
They both came out nice.
Thanks for remembering me and the white spot question.

Michelle Rich
11-17-2011, 6:04 AM
gorgeous wood, glad you saved it & shared with us

John Keeton
11-17-2011, 6:24 AM
Baxter, nice work on these, and great looking wood. I probably miss out on some wood like this as I just won't go that "extra mile" to pamper the wood.

Baxter Smith
11-17-2011, 9:49 AM
Thnaks for taking the time to comment!

Now those are nice looking bowls Baxter. I like them both. I just got some polymerized tung oil in from Lee Valley. Is that what you use?
Thats it Bernie. Did you order the sealer too? I will be interested to hear what you think of it.

Baxter, nice work on these, and great looking wood. I probably miss out on some wood like this as I just won't go that "extra mile" to pamper the wood.
John, that "extra mile" is the hidden cost of some free wood. I am too cheap to cough up the extra dough very often. Thats why I put the other 3 back!:)